Scientific Writing in English (172_AV0102)
Thu, Jan. 25th & Fri, Jan. 26th, 2018
10 am – 5 pm
9:30 am – 4:30 pm
This workshop aims at supporting PhD students in areas which are difficult for many young researchers who need to produce academic or scientific texts in English. Individual and group exercises, discussions, and trainer input help participants to reflect on their own approaches to writing, their problems and possible problem solving strategies. Participants get to know techniques and strategies that may be transferred to their ongoing writing projects immediately and that facilitate more effective, efficient, and successful professional writing.
Contents in brief:
- A professional approach to the process of academic writing
- Useful techniques for getting started, finding and organising ideas
- Useful academic vocabulary for presenting ideas and arguments by other authors
- Organising and presenting information in a comprehensive and reader-friendly way
- Language matters: avoiding typical problems in formal written English
- Giving and receiving constructive text feedback
- Scientific writing in English: useful resources
In addition, other topics may be discussed, according to the needs and wishes of the participants.
The workshop is conducted in English. The small group size allows participants to ask questions openly and receive helpful feedback both from the trainer and the rest of the group.
Target group: Doctoral candidates from all departments and fields of study
Trainer: Dr. Vera Zegers | Trainer and coach for scientific writing
- Thursday, January 25th, 2017 | 10 am – 5 pm
- Friday, January 26th, 2017 | 9:30 am – 4:30 pm
Location: S1|21 (Magdalenenstraße 25), Room A 105
Please fill in the Ingenium registration form and send it signed by your supervisor or adviser via E-Mail: ingenium-anmeldung@tu-…