Information about PROMOS
The following projects receive support through the DAAD PROMOS Scholarship Program at the TU Darmstadt:
1. One-semester study-abroad programmes (not longer and not shorter!) at partner universities outside of Europe (+ Russia).
2. The production of a capstone project (Bachelor’s or Master’s thesis) at partner universities outside of Europe (+ Russia).
The PROMOS scholarships are awarded by the TU Darmstadt through a merit-based application process.
The application deadline for a stay abroad in 2018 is November 15. The online application will be activated in the end of October. Please organise all your application documents.
The next information sessions about PROMOS are in September and October. If you didn’t submit an equivalent application (e.g. a self-organised thesis, freemover), please contact us.
- You are matriculated at the TU Darmstadt with the aim of obtaining a degree.
- You will have successfully completed two semesters by the time your study abroad program begins, i.e. your study abroad semester is at least your third semester.
- You have never been financially supported as part of the PROMOS program during your bachelor or master.
- You are sufficiently fluent in the partner university’s language of instruction (at least B2).
- You are nominated for a study abroad placement at a non-European (+ Russian) partner university for a one-semester academic programme (maximum of 6 months, and with full-time student status).
- You have been accepted for the completion of a capstone/thesis project (Bachelor’s or Master’s) at a non-European (+ Russian) partner university.
A monthly partial scholarship according to the DAAD’s state-specific rates. The duration of the aid can range from 1-6 months, depending on the capacity of the DAAD in that fiscal year.
November 15th(for stays between January and July of the following year)
April 15th (for stays between July and December of the same year)
Process and Formalities
The following documents must be submitted with the online application (scanned PDFs; scores and certificates signed and stamped):
- Cover letter
- Test scores and transcripts (Printout from Registrar’s Office with signature and stamp; Master’s students can instead submit records from their Bachelor’s programs))
- Letter of recommendation from a professor (The recommendation must be no more than one year old and written and signed by a professor at a German university. At the professor’s request, the recommendation may be submitted directly to the PROMOS office from the university department.)
- Only for capstone projects/theses: Consent of the adviser and a one-page synopsis
- Proof of sufficient fluency in the language of instruction through one of the following qualifications (no older than 18 months from the beginning of the stay):
- Kleiner DAAD Sprachtest (This test can be taken for 20 Euros in the Sprachenzentrum at the TU Darmstadt for any of the languages taught there. You must pass Level B2.)
- TOEFL (minimum iBT 80) or IELTS (minimum 6.5) (for English)
- UNIcert II (for English, French, Portuguese, or Spanish)
Additional Tips and Guidance
Please send us an email as soon as possible if your personal information changes or if you are no longer able to study abroad. Particularly, your mailing address and email address must always be correct and up to date.
Confirmation of Stay (must be submitted after your stay with your transcripts from the host school as confirmation).
FAQs about PROMOS
The number of financially supported students depends on the total funding amount, provided by the DAAD to TU Darmstadt. The following criteria determine the internal selection: Formal criteria (timely and complete submission of the documents), academic performance, language proficiency and the content of your application.
A poor valuation in just one area (e.g. academic performance) can be compensated through good valuations in other areas.
The proof of language fluency can be submitted up until your departure. In that case the grading of the application will only be as high as B2, which represents the minimum required levels of language proficiency.
Yes, as long as it arrives here within a few days of the deadline. If this is the case, please ask the professor to send the recommendation through the mail or via email directly to: Unit for International Relations and Mobility, firstname.lastname@example.org.
The amount of aid is established differently by DAAD offices state by state (see link on homepage), but it will be around 300-500 Euros per month.
No, that is not possible.
No, we only support stays that last a maximum of one semester (six months or less). If you plan to stay longer, please find out about other funding opportunities.
Yes, partially. More exact information can be found on the Promos Information Sheet under VI. Rules about Combinations and Deductions.