Double Degree Programmes
Welcome to TU Darmstadt!
We are pleased that you are interested in a double degree in cooperation with TU Darmstadt. Here, you will find all information on our double-degree programmes and additional tips for newcomers at TU Darmstadt.
TU Darmstadt has entered into double-degree agreements with different partner universities all over the world. These programmes offer qualified students the opportunity to get two degrees at the same time: the Bachelor of Science or the Master of Science at TU Darmstadt and the corresponding degree of the partner university. The recognition of academic achievements of the partner university is guaranteed from the start. Participants complete a large part of their degree in a foreign country. The duration of studies is usually only prolonged slightly. After completing the Master’s degree at TU Darmstadt, both degree certificates – one from TU Darmstadt, one from the partner university – will be conferred to the student.
The following pages will provide you with information about our double-degree programmes. For general inquiries about double degrees, please contact the Unit for International Relations and Mobility.
If you are studying at one of our partner universities and wish to get an additional degree from TU Darmstadt, please apply directly via the sending university.
Incoming Students from Europe
You are studying at a European partner university of TU Darmstadt and are interested in a double-degree Master’s in cooperation with TU Darmstadt? You can get more detailed information about study plans, recognition of academic achievements, costs and formalities from your home university’s departmental coordinator.
You will find valuable information regarding the organisation of your stay at TU Darmstadt in the Erasmus section.
Incoming Students from the United States
Incoming Students from Brazil
The close cooperation between Escola Politécnica da Universidade de São Paulo (EPUSP) and Technische Universität Darmstadt enables students to pursue a double degree at the two universities. Students have the opportunity to get the Master’s degree from TU Darmstadt in addition to the “Diploma de Engenheiro”. The regular duration of study for the double degree amounts to five years (Bachelor’s and Master’s).
The courses at TU Darmstadt are only partially offered in English; the majority of courses are taught in German. That’s why double-degree students have to demonstrate sufficient German-language skills (for further information please refer to the Language Requirements section).
Course of Studies
Students from EPUSP spend their entire undergraduate studies as well as the following two semesters at their home university and then come to TU Darmstadt after having completed the sixth semester. They will spend four semesters at TU Darmstadt and complete the final (11th) semester at EPUSP.
Prerequisites and Application
If you wish to apply for a double degree, you need to display outstanding academic achievements. Furthermore, you are expected to show a high degree of commitment. For the exact application deadlines, please refer to your home university’s international office. Please make sure to inquire about deadlines in due time and plan at least one year ahead.
In order to successfully participate in the double-degree programme, students need to meet the following requirements:
- complete a Learning Agreement in coordination with the partner university
- present a written project work (e.g. Iniciaçao Cientifica) or take a similar exam (only for students of the Department of Electrical Engineering and Information Technology)
- take all necessary exams
- complete a 12-week internship (not for students in the department of Civil and Environmental Engineering)
- the Master’s thesis should be proposed and supervised by professors of both universities. The topic should be a part of one common research field and the thesis has to be written in English.
Students of EPUSP need to submit proof of their German knowledge: ZMP (Zentrale Mittelstufenprüfung of Goethe Institute, level 2), TestDaF or a similar certificate which has been acquired within the framework of a German course at EPUSP.
Incoming Students from China (Tongji)
You are studying at Tongji university and would like to pursue a Master's Degree at TU Darmstadt? We show you how it's done!
There is a close cooperative relationship between Tongji University Shanghai and TU Darmstadt. Due to our international focus and the large number of exchanges with partner universities all over the world, some courses of the Master’s programme are offered in English. However, most of them are in German. Within the framework of the Master’s programme examination plan, the requirements of both universities are taken into account. Hence, after having completed the programme successfully, all students obtain the Master’s degree from TU Darmstadt and the Master’s degree from Tongji University.
Students have the once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to discover the culture and language of another country. This experience enables students to build both on their technical and social skills.
Within the framework of the double-degree programme, students enrolled in the Mechanical Engineering Programme have the possibility to spend three to four semesters at TU Darmstadt, write their Master’s thesis there and complete their 12-week industrial internship. The Master’s thesis will be assigned by TU Darmstadt. Each student needs to have two supervisors, one from each institution. Double-degree students can obtain both degrees within five to six semesters.
The teaching plan of the double-degree student should be decided by the corresponding departments from both Tongji and TU Darmstadt.
TU Darmstadt Facts
- Location, country : Darmstadt, Germany
- Number of students: approx. 27,000
- Number of employees: approx. 4,700
- Number of spots for exchange students : 10
- Double-degree programmes : Mechanical and Process Engineering
- During your Bachelor’s, kindly contact your international office (Ms. Zhou firstname.lastname@example.org)for further information about the application process and funding opportunities
- Eligible are: Tongji students who hold a Bachelor’s degree in Mechanical Engineering, Automotive Engineering or Thermal Energy Engineering as well as students who are enrolled in a Master’s degree programme at Tongji
- After having been selected for the double-degree programme at TU Darmstadt, you need to apply online to TU Darmstadt in order to receive your letter of admission
The applicants need to meet the following requirements:
- above-average academic achievements
- fundamental interest in matter relating to vehicle technology and product-technical issues
- extracurricular activities and social skills
- interested in German culture and language
- Master’s programme should be oriented towards the requirements of the double-degree programme
Tongji students need to provide a German language test (16 score of TestDaF) during the application process for the Master’s programme in Germany (one year in advance).
Duties of the Students:
Tongji students pursuing the double-degree programme continue to pay tuition or registration fees at Tongji University. There are no tuition fees at TU Darmstadt, although students have to pay a semester fee (approx. 220 EUR per semester), which includes a ticket for the public transport in the Rhein-Main area. Furthermore, Tongji students are obliged to register for German statutory health insurance (approx. 80 EUR per month) in order to be registered at TU Darmstadt.
For further information please contact:
Prof. Dr. Hermann Winner, Chair of Automotive Engineering and Programme Coordinator