In order to apply to study at the TU Darmstadt, the following prerequisites must be met:
Proof of language proficiency (German or, when appropriate, English)
One of the most important prerequisites for your studies at TU Darmstadt is very high German proficiency. In order to begin a degree programme, you must have completed one of the following tests:
- DSH-2 („Deutsche Sprachprüfung für den Hochschulzugang ausländischer Studienbewerber“).
- the Test Deutsch als Fremdsprache für ausländische Studienbewerber (TestDaF) with a final result of TDN 16; only one TDN 3 may be compensated for by one TDN 5.
- “Deutsches Sprachdiplom der Kultusministerkonferenz – Zweite Stufe” (DSD-II)
- “Goethe-Zertifikat C2: Grosses Deutsches Sprachdiplom”.
- the certificate “telc Deutsch C1 Hochschule”.
For applying to a German University, you must prove level “C1” proficiency in German. You can also take and report the results of the DSH test after applying.
For admission to master’s programmes in English, proof of sufficient English proficiency is required. You must pass one of the following tests with the corresponding score:
- TOEFL test (paper 570, cb230, iBT 88)
- IELTS 6,5
- Unicert III
- CAE (Grade C1)
The TU Darmstadt also offers some college preparation courses with an emphasis on language. For that you must have first participated in a Campus Orientation Tour and had a Transcript Review. In addition, starting in October 2016, it is required that you pass the TestAS (Test für Ausländische Studierende, Test for Foreign Students). The test takes place at the TU multiple times throughout the year.
University Entrance Qualification (Diploma, A-Levels)
A university entrance qualification is always required. Whether the diploma from your country of origin is equivalent to a German university entrance qualification must be reviewed. The diploma can be:
- Suitable for the direct, general admissions application,
- Sufficient for the subject-specific admissions application,
- Valid only in combination with one or two years of a successfully completed degree programme in your country of origin, or
- Earned with the successful completion of a college preparatory course (Studienkolleg)
Proof of health insurance is required for enrollment at the TU Darmstadt. Further information on health insurance is available from TU Darmstadt’s Office of Student Services.
Proof of Current Residence Permit Status
In order to study at a German college, it is irrelevant whether your asylum application has already been approved or if it is still being processed. It is also initially irrelevant which kind of residence permit you end up being approved for.
To apply to study at TU Darmstadt, you do not need to produce any special residence permit.
However, please consider that financing may prove difficult without an approved asylum application, as you may not be able to apply for BAföG.