After the doctorate: Postdoc at TU Darmstadt
A postdoc is the next step after the doctorate and thus the next step in your academic career. To offer the best possible support for young researchers on their academic path, TU Darmstadt has implemented Postdoc Career Programmes, which meet the particular challenges of an early research career.
The Postdoc Career Programmes focus on four areas of support: (1) creating best possible conditions to start your career at TU Darmstadt, (2) providing financial aid in between two career steps, (3) offering a support package for special scientific purposes, (4) increasing your scientific independence and promoting your path towards professorship. read more
The Postdoc Career Programmes are augmented by a broad range of accompanying supportive services open to all postdocs at TU Darmstadt. These services comprise the participation in the Ingenium professional skills programme, the Ingenium career networking programme, and the Research Funding services at TU Darmstadt. On this site you will find further information on all our programmes and services tailored especially to postdoctoral researchers.
Jobs and Research Opportunities
With a focus on technology, our 13 departments represent a broad range of scientific disciplines and engineering fields. Together with our Graduate Schools, Research Training Groups, Collaborative Research Centres and Research Units they offer a stimulating and cooperative research environment for young researchers. This is where your research takes place! Browse our departments and research programmes sites for an overview over current research projects and recruitment options. Additionally, you find a list of job vacancies on our career site. As part of our Postdoc Career Programmes, the ‘Future Talents’ Postdoc Career Days offer an alternative way to join TU Darmstadt as a postdoc and to get to know us better.
Postdoc Career Programmes
As a postdoctoral researcher you can profit from a number of support and funding programmes at TU Darmstadt. All of these programmes are tailored especially to enhance your career prospects and secure scientific autonomy.
|'Future Talents' Postdoc Career Days||Qualification Courses for Postdocs||Career Bridging Grants||Ingenium Support Package|
Career Bridging Grants
You are a Ph.D. student or a postdoc planning your next career step? You would like to apply for external funding to finance your own position but need to financially bridge the time up to the potential funding start?
The Career Bridging Grant closes financial gaps between two career steps for candidates currently working at or aiming to work at TU Darmstadt. It provides short-term financial support for highly qualified candidates, who apply for funding with good prospects of success. The Career Bridging Grant secures financial support during the application process and thus facilitates a smooth transition to the next career step.
Who can apply?
|Advanced Ph.D. students and postdocs …|
|1.||…whose individual funding runs out before the start of the next funding period.|
|2.||(A) … at TU Darmstadt who prepare a proposal for individual external funding at TU Darmstadt.||(B) … from external institutions (national and international) who prepare a proposal for individual external funding at TU Darmstadt.||(C) … at TU Darmstadt who prepare a proposal for individual external funding at another institution.|
|Application form A||Application form B||Application form C|
- financial support for the duration of max. 12 months during transition phases (Ph.D. to postdoc, postdoc to postdoc and postdoc to junior research group leader). The level of support granted depends on your research experience and the planned individual external funding:
- advanced Ph.D student/postdoc to (next) postdoc: expected grant of 1.800 €
- postdoc to junior research group leader: expected grant of 2.100 €
- for researchers coming to Darmstadt
- a broad range of research and career opportunities at one of Germany’s top universities of technology
- an inspiring and professional environment for your research
- access to research support programmes at TU Darmstadt (e.g. Ingenium transferable skills programme and career networking programme)
Please hand in (as one PDF file)
- application form A, B or C (online: www.tu-darmstadt.de/postdocs)
- information about the individual external funding you plan to apply for: funding programme, funding period, institution, where research project will be conducted (1 page)
- summary of planned research project, incl. structural involvement in institution, time schedule of proposal preparation (max. 5 pages)
- graduation certificates (copies)
- letter of acceptance from research group/professor you are going to stay with during the Career Bridging Grant
- statement about financial situation, incl. proof of non-existing funding options for the proposal period (e.g. expiring employment contract or stipend)
- Ph.D. certificate or proof of Ph.D. submission/ statement from your supervisor that the Ph.D. will be completed within the next 6 months (Please be aware that the Career Bridging Grant can start after the defense of your dissertation at the earliest)
- certificates/ proof of scientific excellence (publications, awards, scholarships)
How we select
The competitive selection process is organized by TU Darmstadt. Applications will be reviewed by an independent scientific committee. The committee meets twice a year.
The most important selection criteria are:
- scientific excellence (publications, awards, scholarships)
- scientific quality of planned research project
- determination of young researcher
- chances of success of external funding acquisition
You can hand in your proposal any time. The proposals get evaluated twice a year (cut-off dates in spring and autumn). The next cut-off date will be on November 15th, 2018.
We are looking forward to receiving your proposal.
Please send your proposal electronically as one PDF file to Ms Dr. Bettina Wagner.
Ingenium – Young Researchers at TU Darmstadt Technische Universität Darmstadt
In addition to our Postdoc Career Programmes, a variety of services at TU offer information, counselling and support in all areas relating to your research.
Ingenium – Young Researchers at TU Darmstadt
As the umbrella organisation for promoting early career researchers at TU Darmstadt, Ingenium offers information, guidance and support in pursuing academic as well as non-academic career paths. Besides functioning as a single point of contact for doctoral candidates and postdocs at TU Darmstadt, Ingenium proffers a professional skills programme and regularly organises career and networking events.
The Research Funding Unit in the Directorate for Research and Technology Transfer provides information, advice and services related to research funding programmes and proposal writing.
Senior Scientific Advisors
Learn about the principles, tips and tricks of proposal writing from TU Darmstadt’s senior scientific advisors. The experienced and renowned professors offer individual counselling regarding proposal preparation for individual funding, e.g. to prepare a proposal for research grants at DFG or at the ERC.
In order to be able to concentrate fully on your research, several service institutions at TU Darmstadt help you with organizational matters relating to your moving to Darmstadt or finding family support.