Tuesday and Wednesday 9:00 am – 5:00 pm
This is an activity-based workshop led by a theatre professional whose expertise is in helping the speaker effectively communicate the importance and relevance of the work and the core message in the talk. The seminar provides participants the opportunity to perfect their public-speaking skills.
Repetition is a key aspect of the training so that participants can strengthen the narrative, the emotional tone, and the physicality of the talk in order to define and support the speaker’s own dynamic style.
Contents in brief:
- Concisely introducing yourself: practice your “pitch”
- Engaging the audience in one’s talk
- Affirming the strengths and individual style of the speaker
- Improving body language
- Effectively promoting oneself
- Develop strong tactics for effective communication
- Receiving video-feedback
- Voice and body techniques
- Partner work/role-play
- Language practice and analysis
- Improvisation, videotaping and feedback
Throughout the two-day workshop, participants will be guided through interactive exercises to improve nonverbal communication, improve the ability to listen and react generously, and to integrate focusing techniques which empower the speaker. Attention will be given to breath and speech patterns, to strengthen both the ease and clarity of the speaker. Exercises include relaxation, intonation, pronunciation, tempo and text analysis.
Participants will be required to prepare a 3 to 5 minute pitch or overview of their work incorporating also the use of a slide. This will provide a basis for applying the practical aims of the workshop.
Target group: Doctoral candidates and Postdocs from all departments and fields of study
Trainer: Ric Oquita | impulsplus
- Tuesday, April 14th, 2020 | 9:00 am – 5:00 pm
- Wednesday, April 15th, 2019 | 9:00 am – 5:00 pm
Location: S1|03 (Old main university building, Hochschulstr. 1), Room 212
Please fill in the Ingenium registration form and send it signed by your supervisor or adviser via E-Mail: ingenium-anmeldung@tu-…
Important information for registration
Please note that a registration via the registration form is obligatory for all Ingenium events.
Courses are free of charge for early career researchers of the TU Darmstadt.
Please consider the following information concerning the registration procedure:
- Please register for each event with a separate registration form.
- Once your registration form is submitted, your registration is binding.
- At least two weeks before the event starts, you will receive information about the status of your registration.
- Registrations are recognised in the order in which they have been submitted.
- Events will only take place if the necessary number of participants is reached.
- If you cannot participate in an event for which you have already registered, please contact us immediately to allow people on the waiting list to take your place.
- In the case of unexcused absence, future registrations will be considered subordinately.
- If an event is announced in German, it will be conducted in German. If an event is announced in English, it will be conducted in English.
The following applies only to trainings in the qualification programme:
- The registration form must be signed by your supervisor or adviser.
- You can register for up to five events per programme.
- Please send your registration as a scanned pdf version by e-mail. Alternatively, you may also send the registration by internal mail.
Child Care during events
You would like to participate in Ingenium events but do not have child care during that time? Here you can find more information about short-term child care at TU Darmstadt.