Wednesday and Thursday 9:00 am – 5:00 pm
This workshop supports doctoral candidates who want to approach their writing in a professional manner and make it more efficient and successful. We will adopt a process perspective on writing in English and deepen our understanding of the tasks that need to be done in each stage of writing. Participants get to know techniques, strategies and resources for each stage of writing and will be supported in transferring these to their ongoing writing projects.
Contents in brief:
- A process approach to academic writing
- Organizing the writing process (e.g. task management, literature management)
- Useful techniques for finding and organising ideas
- Organising and presenting information in a reader-friendly way
- Reaching a writing flow
- Defining areas for revision and correction
- Giving and receiving constructive text feedback
- Standards in scientific writing in English
- Useful resources for writing in English
Participants are asked to bring parts of their thesis or other recent work to the workshop so that they may try writing techniques on their own texts (e.g. outline of the thesis, drafts of chapters, drafts of papers, exposé). They are expected to come with an open mind towards unfamiliar approaches to academic writing and a willingness to actively take part in group and individual exercises and to share their own experiences.
Please note that this workshop is a writing workshop in English, not an English language course.
If you wish, you can arrange an individual writing consultation session for doctoral candidates with SchreibCenter independently from this workshop.
Target group: Doctoral candidates and Postdocs from all departments and fields of study
Trainer: Ute Henning | SchreibCenter at Sprachenzentrum, TU Darmstadt
- Wednesday, September 23rd, 2020 | 9:00 am – 5:00 pm
- Thursday, September 24th, 2020 | 9:00 am – 5:00 pm
Location: S1|21 (Ingenium House, Magdalenenstr. 25), Room A 105
Please fill in the Ingenium registration form and send it signed by your supervisor or advisor by email: ingenium-anmeldung@tu-…
Please fill in the Ingenium registration form and send it signed by your supervisor or adviser via E-Mail: ingenium-anmeldung@tu-…
Important information for registration
Please note that a registration via the registration form is obligatory for all Ingenium events.
Courses are free of charge for early career researchers of the TU Darmstadt.
Please consider the following information concerning the registration procedure:
- Please register for each event with a separate registration form.
- Once your registration form is submitted, your registration is binding.
- At least two weeks before the event starts, you will receive information about the status of your registration.
- Registrations are recognised in the order in which they have been submitted.
- Events will only take place if the necessary number of participants is reached.
- If you cannot participate in an event for which you have already registered, please contact us immediately to allow people on the waiting list to take your place.
- In the case of unexcused absence, future registrations will be considered subordinately.
- If an event is announced in German, it will be conducted in German. If an event is announced in English, it will be conducted in English.
The following applies only to trainings in the qualification programme:
- The registration form must be signed by your supervisor or adviser.
- You can register for up to five events per programme.
- Please send your registration as a scanned pdf version by e-mail. Alternatively, you may also send the registration by internal mail.
Child Care during events
You would like to participate in Ingenium events but do not have child care during that time? Here you can find more information about short-term child care at TU Darmstadt.