The success of doing a doctorate depends not only on whether the doctoral candidates are suitable and skilled for this research. Rather guidance and support by the supervisor(s) can often make the difference between success and failure. Some say, up to 50% of a successful doctorate are hidden in the relationship called supervision.
In this workshop, you will discuss the criteria defining a good doctoral supervision and reflect upon optimal relationships between doctoral candidates and supervisors. The role of the supervisor and her or his style of supervision will be the central aspect of this course: How do I listen actively, and give constructive feedback? How will I communicate effectively, and support the doctoral candidate to also communicate appropriately, in order to reach her or his goals in time? How do we align expectations? When should I decide for or against a prospective doctoral candidate’s request for support? What is my role as (informal) co-supervisor?
- Supervisor’s role and the supervisory relationship
- Dialogue skills – early warning signs, active listening and feedback
- Aligning reciprocal expectations, identify and solve problems
- Exchange of experiences among peers
- Trainer input, feedback and discussions
- Collaborative generation of solutions
- Simulations and role plays
- Tandem/group exercises and individual reflection
A preparatory online-survey will be conducted among the workshop participants two weeks prior to the workshop. This survey will include a self-assessment of your supervision skills and experiences, including current challenges and the individual learning goals of participants.
Target Group: Postdocs and Junior Research Group Leaders from all Disciplines
Trainer: Dr. Anja Timmernann | Coach for Knowledge Projects and Communication Trainer
- Tuesday, September 6th, 2022 | 9:00 am – 5:00 pm
- Wednesday, September 7th, 2022 | 9:00 am – 5:00 pm
Location: S1|21 Ingenium House (Magdalenenstr. 25) Room A105
Please fill in the (wird in neuem Tab geöffnet) and send it signed by your supervisor or adviser via E-Mail: Ingenium registration formingenium-anmeldung@tu-…