Monday and Thursday 9:00 am – 12:30 pm + Self-study in the afternoon and Friday 9:00 am – 12:30 pm
Writing their final thesis often feels like an unsurmountable, monolithic task for many students. Actually, it is rather a combination of a multitude of diverse tasks and challenges. The supervisor should ideally support students by helping them identify and sort these tasks and challenges, offering varying amounts of assistance in different phases for different individuals.
Finding the balance between demanding independent work and support often turns into a challenge for the supervisors. In this workshop, we will reflect upon our role as supervisors, get to know different strategies for support and constructive feedback. We will also work on a catalogue of grading criteria of the participants’ subject areas. During the course, there will be multiple opportunities to share your experiences with your fellow participants and the course leader, and to discuss supervision problems and possible solutions.
Intended learning outcomes and competencies:
At the end of the workshop, participants will know different ways of guiding and accompanying during the diverse phases of preparing and writing a thesis
- Defining the topic and working phases of a Bachelor or Master thesis
- Strategies for motivation and supporting students
- Identifying problems students might have in self-organization and writing and giving hints for self-help
- Reflecting the roles of a supervisor during different phases of preparing and writing a final thesis
- Providing constructive feedback
- Dealing with challenging/hot moments in supervision
- Developing evaluation criteria and making them transparent for students
A mixture of input, discussion, group work, and individual work.
The workshop is supplemented by tasks for independent work and reflection. These self-study units add up to an additional half workshop day and are credited accordingly.
The workshop will be acknowledged as part of the Zertifikat Hochschullehre (Modul II) of the Hochschuldidaktische Arbeitsstelle, TU Darmstadt.
Target Group: Doctoral candidates of all diciplines, who supervise students‘ theses
Trainer: Dr. Ira Gawlitzek | University of Mannheim
- Monday, January 10th, 2022 | 9:00 am – 12:30 am + self-study activities in the afternoon with submission deadlines
- Thursday, January 27th, 2022 | 9:00 am – 12:30 am + self-study activities in the afternoon, submission until 6 pm
- Friday, January 28th, 2022 | 9:00 am – 12:30 pm
- Online via Zoom Pro
- You will receive the link for logging in to the virtual room via email by your trainer.
Please fill in the Ingenium registration form (opens in new tab) and send it signed by your supervisor or adviser via E-Mail: ingenium-anmeldung@tu-…
Important information for registration
Please note that a registration via the registration form is obligatory for all Ingenium events.
Courses are free of charge for early career researchers of the TU Darmstadt.
Please consider the following information concerning the registration procedure:
- Please register for each event with a separate registration form.
- Once your registration form is submitted, your registration is binding.
- At least two weeks before the event starts, you will receive information about the status of your registration.
- Registrations are recognised in the order in which they have been submitted.
- Events will only take place if the necessary number of participants is reached.
- If you cannot participate in an event for which you have already registered, please contact us immediately to allow people on the waiting list to take your place.
- In the case of unexcused absence, future registrations will be considered subordinately.
- If an event is announced in German, it will be conducted in German. If an event is announced in English, it will be conducted in English.
The following applies only to trainings in the qualification programme:
- The registration form must be signed by your supervisor or adviser.
- You can register for up to five events per programme.
- Please send your registration as a scanned pdf version by e-mail.
Child Care during events
You would like to participate in Ingenium events but do not have child care during that time? Here you can find more information about short-term child care at TU Darmstadt.