Please use the “MoveIn” portal to apply for enrolment as a PhD student without a formal degree. You may apply without the formal acceptance from the relevant PhD committee.
Please follow the application process. Don't be confused by the term “application / online application”; due to technical reasons, this is also used for enrolment as a PhD student without a formal degree.
Please print the generated application form.
Then submit the following documents to Dezernat Internationales – International Admission:
- The signed application form from MoveIn in paper form
- The written confirmation from your PhD supervisor (depending on the department, this may be part of the application for PhD acceptance)
- Certificates entitling the holder to PhD studies: Bachelor's/Master's degrees with Transcript of Records as officially certified copies and translations
Dezernat Internationales – International Admission checks the degrees for equivalence and sends the dean's office a corresponding message.
Once your application documents have been received, you may be issued a conditional admission letter as a PhD student without a formal degree. This admission does not mean that you are accepted by the PhD committee. This decision is solely up to the relevant PhD committee of your department.
Please visit International Admission in person during visiting hours to present the originals, your passport and to provide other necessary data. If you wish to enrol as a PhD student without a formal degree, additional documents must be submitted (current health insurance certificate and a de-registration certificate if you have been enrolled at a German university previously).
In addition, please submit the following documents to the dean's office:
- Written confirmation of supervision from your PhD supervisor (depending on the department, this may be part of the application for PhD acceptance)
- Application for acceptance for the doctorate of the faculty
- if necessary, further documents according to the requirements of the department
The department will inform you of the decision of the PhD Committee.
Once you are enrolled as a PhD student without a formal degree, you will receive your documents (student ID, TU-ID, semester ticket) by post after your personal enrolment at International Admission.
Please submit the registration form together with your application form for formal acceptance by the PhD committee of your department and your confirmation of supervision to the dean’s office of your department.
For further information, please contact
- General Information about Doctorates
- What is the difference between registration and enrolment?
- Registration / enrolment as a PhD student with foreign university entrance qualification
- TUCAN: Online Registration / Enrolment for PhD-candidates with German university entrance qualification
- Online Registration and Enrollment for a doctorate
- Why do I need to register as a doctoral candidate?
- Can I change my mind between ‘registration’ and ‘enrollment’ afterwards?
- Do I get a TU-ID as a doctoral candidate?
- Registration for courses / language courses as doctoral candidate
- Enrolment/Registration for former TU students
- Online Registration / Enrollment: Which portal?