Services for female students
Big Sister – Mentoring und Networking
Big Sister is a mentoring program for female students with a migration background and from abroad that are currently in the first semesters of their Bachelor and Masters studies. Big Sister offers the chance to get to know other female students and exchange tips and tricks with an experienced mentor. In this way, the participants get an easier start into their studies and at TU Darmstadt. The regular group meetings and workshops invite to further expand networks and improve skills.
Invited are female students from all study fields of TU Darmstadt. Especially welcome are students from STEM fields (= science, technology, engineering and mathematics), as very few women study in these fields and at the same time many have an intercultural background.
- The participants are accompanied by a “Big Sister” (advanced female students or doctoral students from their department)
- Regular group meetings and events offer a chance to exchange experiences and to get to know each other
- Different workshops, for example on applications, scholarships or learning techniques and time management, help to improve skills
As a mentee: Female first-year students (first semester of bachelor & master) with a background of migration or from abroad.
As a mentor: Female students (at least 5 subject-related semesters) or female doctoral students.
The program runs every year from January to September. The application phase for 2020 is now open until 29 November 2019. Please apply with the filled-in application form as a mentee or mentor via e-mail to Frauke Eckl.
Do you have any questions about the programme or application? Please contact the Big Sister project coordinator Frauke Eckl.
Femtec.Network – university career centre in the cooperation network
Career development programme for very good, ambitious female MINT students
Aims and content
- Career-building programme over three semesters
- Familiarisation with top international companies
- Training of management skills and soft skills
- Individual advice with regard to careers
- National network of young women with a passion for technology
- TU Darmstadt is a collaborative partner to Femtec.
- Femtec is a university career centre for women from engineering and science based at Technische Universität Berlin.
- In the Femtec.Network, leading technical universities and top international companies form a unique cooperation association.
- More information about the Femtec.Network
- Contact person TU Darmstadt: Dr. Uta Zybell
MentorNetwork – from 2017 “Mentoring Hessen” – ProCareer.MINT
Hessen-wide mentoring, networking and training for female students in MINT subjects
Aims and content
- Professional supervision during the course and when making the transition to employment
- Practical preparation for starting a career and targeted career planning
- Long-term improvement in professional opportunities
- Opening up of specific prospects through close cooperation with renowned companies and research institutions
- The MentorNetwork for women in science and technology is a cross-university institution by Hessian universities and universities of applied science. The “MentorNetwork” will be adopted into the new funding programmes of the “Mentoring Hessen” programme from 2017 with the new name “ProCareer.MINT”.
- Contact person TU Darmstadt: Marion Klenk