Services for female students
Big Sister – Mentoring und Networking
Mentoring and networking programme for female students with a background of migration as well as from overseas, who are in their first semesters in bachelor and master courses. Female students from STEM fields (science, technology, engineering and mathematics) can take part.
Next application deadline for 2018: 08th December 2017
Aims and content
The participants are accompany by a “big sister” (female advanced students and doctoral students from their department) over a period of nine months. This makes their arrival at TU Darmstadt and organising their studies easier. At regular group meetings, all of the participants can get to know each other and make contacts.
Project content and Big Sister application
- Female students (mentees) are accompanied on an individual basis over a period of nine months by a female advanced student or doctoral student (mentor).
- They gain support in all matters concerning the organisation of their studies as well as an easier introduction to the university structures.
- At the start of the project, mentees and mentors are given an introduction on the effective shaping of the mentoring relationship.
- Regular group meetings
- Exchanging of experiences and making contacts
- Networking evening with working women from science and business
- Various workshops on reflection and the development of intercultural skills
- Support for applications for scholarships, internships and part-time work
(All events and additional offers are listed in the year program. The new year program will be published soon.)
As a mentee: Female first-year students (first semester of bachelor & master) with a background of migration or from overseas, from the departments and fields of study 1, 4, 5, 7, 11, 13, 15, 16, 18 or 20
As a mentor: Female students (min. 5 subject-related semesters) or female doctoral students from the departments and fields of study 1, 4, 5, 7, 11, 13, 15, 16, 18 or 20
Please apply with a current CV (if available) and the completed application form for mentees or the profile form for mentors. Once your application has been received, you will be invited to a personal meeting. This serves as the basis for compiling the mentoring pairs.
Do you have any questions about the programme or application? Please contact the Big Sister project coordinator Franziska Lach.
Femtec.Network – university career centre in the cooperation network
Career development programme for very good, ambitious female MINT students
Aims and content
- Career-building programme over three semesters
- Familiarisation with top international companies
- Training of management skills and soft skills
- Individual advice with regard to careers
- National network of young women with a passion for technology
- TU Darmstadt is a collaborative partner to Femtec.
- Femtec is a university career centre for women from engineering and science based at Technische Universität Berlin.
- In the Femtec.Network, leading technical universities and top international companies form a unique cooperation association.
- More information about the Femtec.Network
- Contact person TU Darmstadt: Dr. Uta Zybell
MentorNetwork – from 2017 “Mentoring Hessen” – ProCareer.MINT
Hessen-wide mentoring, networking and training for female students in MINT subjects
Aims and content
- Professional supervision during the course and when making the transition to employment
- Practical preparation for starting a career and targeted career planning
- Long-term improvement in professional opportunities
- Opening up of specific prospects through close cooperation with renowned companies and research institutions
- The MentorNetwork for women in science and technology is a cross-university institution by Hessian universities and universities of applied science. The “MentorNetwork” will be adopted into the new funding programmes of the “Mentoring Hessen” programme from 2017 with the new name “ProCareer.MINT”.
- Contact person TU Darmstadt: Marion Klenk