work +255 622 730 231
Darmstadt University of Technology, Germany – January 2015 to 2019
- - PhD studentship in History of Technology on Circulation and Appropriation of Urban Technologies: Drainage and Traffic Technologies in Dar es Salaam, Tanzania, 1913-1999.
University of Dar es Salaam, Tanzania – September 2005 to August 2013
- - M.A. in History
- Dissertation Topic: Health Implications of Witchcraft Beliefs and Practices in Uhehe: A Historical Perspective
- - B.A. in History and Archaeology
Academic Employment History
October 2018 – To date: Assistant Lecturer in History teaching Survey of World History of Science and Technology; Health and Diseases in Modern African History; and Population and Urban History of Tanzania.
January – June 2018: Research Assistant (Wissenschaftlicher Mitarbeiter) at Institute of Technological History, TU Darmstadt, Germany.
October 2016 – February 2017: Co-instructor at TU Darmstadt of the course titled “Sources of African History” with official no: 02-04-0430-ü
October 2013 – December 2014: University of Dar es Salaam, Assistant Lecturer in History
Conferences and Workshops
- July 23-39, 2017: Presented a paper in 25th ICHST Conference held in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil. The title of the paper was: “Technology and Colonialism: Did the British Overrate their Technological Might in the Groundnut Scheme in Tanganyika, 1946-1961?”
- January 30-31, 2017: Participated in the Teaching in English to Non-native Speakers Workshop organized by and conducted at TU Darmstadt, Darmstadt, Germany.
- December 1-3, 2016: Presented a paper in the 59th African Studies Association annual meeting held in Washington, D.C., USA. Title of the paper was: “Critiquing Postcoloniality? Towards an STS Perspective in African Urbanization”.
- June 22-25, 2016: Presented a paper in the Annual Meeting of the Society for History of Technology in Singapore titled “Drainage Infrastructures in Dar es Salaam, Tanzania, 1891-1960: When Technological Innovation and Health Intersect”.
- May 9-10, 2016: Presented a paper in Graz 2016 STS Annual Conference in Graz, Austria titled “Public Transport Infrastructures and Services in Dar es Salaam: Placing Users into Urban Transport Narratives?”
- March 30, 2016: Attended “The Worlds of Cult: Comparison of European and African Witchcraft Cults” at Queen Mary University of London, UK, organized by Dr. Reuben Loffman.
- December 14-16, 2015: Participated in “Mediation Theory and Philosophy of Technology” Workshop prepared by University of Twente, Netherlands.
- March 9-15, 2015: Participated in “Interdisciplinary PhD Training Week in Dar es Salaam, Tanzania” organized by TU Berlin, TU Darmstadt, Ardhi University and University of Dar es Salaam.
- Edward, Frank, “The Making of Dual Sanitation Systems in Colonial Dar es Salaam,” accepted for publication in: Jochen Monstadt, René de Bercegol, and Bérénice Bon, eds, Translating the Networked City: Urban Infrastructures in Nairobi and Dar es Salaam. New York: Routledge, forthcoming 2020.
- with Mikael Hård, “Maintaining the local Empire: The Public Works Department in Dar es Salaam, 1920–60”. The Journal of Transport History. DOI: 10.1177/0022526619883457
- Book review: “Amy S. Patterson, Africa and Global Health Governance: Domestic Politics and International Structures .Baltimore, MD: John Hopkins University Press, 2018”. Medical History 63 (2) (2019), pp.242-244. DOI: 10.1017/mdh.2019.22
- Book review: “What Do Science, Technology, and Innovation Mean from Africa? ed. by Clapperton Chakanetsa Mavhunga”. Technology and Culture 59 (3) (2018), pp.815-816. DOI: 10.1353/tech.2018.0083
- Book review: “Lawrence E.Y. Mbogoni, Aspects of Colonial Tanzania History. Dar es Salaam: Mkuki na Nyota, 2013”. Tanzania Zamani IX (2) (2017), pp.174-178.
- Book review: “Casper Andersen, British Engineers and Africa, 1875-1914. London: Pickering and Chatto, 2011. African Studies Review 59 (3) (December 2016), pp.253-254. DOI: 10.1017/asr.2016.108
- “Health Implications of Witchcraft Beliefs and Practices in Uhehe: A Historical Perspective”. Dar es Salaam: University of Dar es Salaam, 2013.
- June 2017: Awarded ICOHTEC Travel Grant to attend the 25th ICHST Conference in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, July 23-29, 2017.
- November 2016: HBS Travel Grant to attend the 59th Annual Meeting of the African Studies Association in Washington, D.C., USA, Dec.1-3, 2016.
- April 2016: SHOT Travel Grant to attend the SHOT Annual Meeting in Singapore 22-25 June, 2016.
- February, 2016: IPD4all Research Grant by the Graduate School for Urban Studies at TU Darmstadt for a Two-week Archival Research in London, UK.
- December, 2014: Hans-Böckler Stiftung stipend scholarship for PhD studies at Darmstadt University of Technology, Germany, from January 2015 to December 2017.
- February, 2009: GeSoMo GEGA-NUFU Scholarship for M.A. History at University of Dar es Salaam, Tanzania.
- History of Technology, Urbanization and Medicine in Africa.