Supervising Bachelor and Master Theses (July 12 & 13, 2018)
9 am – 5 pm
Writing their final thesis often feels like an unsurmountable, monolithic task for many students. But actually, it is rather a combination of a multitude of diverse tasks and challenges. The supervisor should ideally support students by helping them identify and sort these tasks and challenges, offering varying amounts of assistance in different phases for different individuals.
Finding the balance between demanding independent work and support often turns into a challenge for the supervisors. In this workshop we will reflect upon our role as supervisors, get to know different strategies for support and constructive feedback. We will also work on a catalogue of grading criteria of the participants’ subject areas. During the course there will be multiple opportunities to share your experiences with your fellow participants and the course leader, and to discuss supervision problems and possible solutions.
Intended learning outcomes and competencies:
At the end of the workshop participants will know different ways of guiding and accompanying during the diverse phases of preparing and writing a thesis. They will have generated assessment criteria and developed ideas on solving supervising problems.
- Defining the topic and working phases of a Bachelor or Master thesis
- Strategies for motivation and supporting students
- Identifying problems students might have in self-organization and writing and giving hints for self-help
- The roles of a supervisor during different phases of preparing and writing a final thesis
- Providing constructive feedback
- Dealing with challenging/hot moments in supervising
- Developing evaluation criteria and making them transparent for students
A mixture of input, discussion, group, and individual work.
The workshop will be acknowledged as part of the Zertifikat Hochschullehre (Modul II) of the Hochschuldidaktische Arbeitsstelle, TU Darmstadt.
Target group: Doctoral candidates and postdocs from all departments and fields of study
- Dr. Ira Gawlitzek | Anglistische Linguistik, Universität Mannheim
- Dr. Ulrike Homann | Fachbereich Biologie, TU Darmstadt
- Thursday, July 12th, 2018 | 9 am – 5 pm
- Friday, July 13th, 2018 | 9 am – 5pm
Location: S1|03 (Old main university building), Room 212
Please fill in the Ingenium registration form and send it signed by your supervisor or adviser via E-Mail: ingenium-anmeldung@tu-…