Conference Presentation: Engaging the Listener in Your Talk (April 15th & 16th, 2019)
9 am – 5 pm
This is an activity-based workshop led by theatre professionals whose expertise is in helping the speaker effectively communicate the importance and relevance of the work and the core message in the talk. The seminar provides participants the opportunity to perfect their public-speaking skills.
Repetition is a key aspect of the training so that participants can strengthen the narrative, the emotional tone, and the physicality of the talk in order to define and support the speaker’s own dynamic style.
Contents in brief:
- Concisely introducing yourself: practice your “pitch”
- Engaging the audience in one’s talk
- Affirming the strengths and individual style of the speaker
- Improving body language
- Effectively promoting oneself
- Develop strong tactics for effective communication
- Receiving video-feedback
- Voice and body techniques
- Partner work/role-play
- Language practice and analysis
- Improvisation, videotaping and feedback
Throughout the two-day workshop, participants will be guided through interactive exercises to improve nonverbal communication, improve the ability to listen and react generously, and to integrate focusing techniques which empower the speaker. Attention will be given to breath and speech patterns, to strengthen both the ease and clarity of the speaker. Exercises include relaxation, intonation, pronunciation, tempo and text analysis. Participants will be required to prepare a 3 to 5 minute pitch or overview of their work incorporating also the use of a slide. This will provide a basis for applying the practical aims of the workshop.
Target group: Doctoral candidates and postdocs from all departments and fields of study
Trainer: Ric Oquita | impulsplus
- Monday, April 15th, 2018 | 9 am – 5 pm
- Thuesday, April 16th, 2018 | 9 am – 5 pm
Location: S1|03 (Old main university building), Room 212
Please fill in the Ingenium registration form and send it signed by your supervisor or adviser via E-Mail: ingenium-anmeldung@tu-…