Scientific Writing (August 22nd & 23rd, 2019)
10 am – 5 pm
9:30 am – 4:30 pm
This workshop supports PhD students in areas that are difficult for many young researchers who need to produce academic or scientific texts in English. Individual and group exercises, discussions, and trainer input help participants to reflect on their own approaches to writing, their problems, and possible problem solving strategies. Participants get to know techniques and strategies that may be transferred to their ongoing writing projects immediately and that facilitate more effective, efficient, and successful professional writing.
Contents in brief:
- A professional approach to the process of academic writing
- Useful techniques for getting started, finding and organising ideas
- Organising and presenting information in a comprehensive and reader-friendly way
- Useful academic vocabulary for presenting ideas and arguments by other authors
- Language matters: avoiding typical problems in formal written English
- Giving and receiving constructive text feedback
- Scientific writing: useful resources
In addition, other topics may be discussed, according to the needs and wishes of the participants.
Doctoral candidates are expected to come with an open mind towards unfamiliar approaches to academic writing, and the willingness to actively take part in group and individual exercises and to share their own experiences.
The workshop is conducted in English. The small group size allows participants to ask questions openly and receive helpful feedback both from the trainer and the rest of the group.
Please be aware that this workshop is a writing workshop in English, not an English language course. In other words, while it is held in English, it focuses primarily on issues regarding scientific writing; language issues are covered as well but are not the main or only focus.
Target group: Doctoral candidates from all departments and fields of study
Trainer: Dr. Vera Leberecht | Trainer and coach for academic writing
- Thursday, August 22nd, 2019 | 10 am – 5 pm
- Friday, August 23rd, 2019 | 9:30 am – 4:30 pm
Location: S1|03 (Old main university building), Room 212
Please fill in the Ingenium registration form and send it signed by your supervisor or advisor by email: ingenium-anmeldung@tu-…