Welcome Centre – Visa, entry and residence

Visa, entry and residence

Information on this website offer a general overview and should be used for information purposes only. These statements are not legally binding.

Please make sure which regulations apply in your case by contacting the German mission in your home country or the Auswärtige Amt.

Concerning everyone coming to Germany from a country that does not belong to the EU:

If you want to take up employment at the TU Darmstadt, you'll need a visa that explicitly allows you to work in Germany! You have to apply for this at the German mission in your home country before you travel to Germany!


  • no visa necessary, entry with national identification document
  • No visa for entry required, entry with passport
  • If you would like to stay more than three months or want to start working in Germany you'll need to get a residence permit (so called Aufenthaltserlaubnis).
  • If you would like to start working immediately after your arrival in Germany, you'll need to get a visa that explicitly allows you to do so before entering Germany. This visa has to state that you are allowed to take up employment (“Visum zur Arbeitsaufnahme”). You'll have to apply for the visa prior to your trip to Germany at the German mission in your home country. The visa will be converted into a residence permit at the aliens authority in charge for you in Germany.
  • Visa required
  • You have to apply for a visa at the responsible German mission (for example a German embassy) in your home country.
  • Please contact the responsible German mission where you plan to apply for your visa in time. The mission will inform you which documents you have to provide to apply for a visa.
  • Please apply for the visa in time. The whole process can take up to three month sometimes even more.
  • Don't enter Germany without a valid visa! Don't enter Germany with a Schengen or visitor visa. This kind of visa can not be extended!


In Germany several different types of residence permits exist. They state for which purpose (e.g. work, study) you are allowed to stay in Germany. Please check carefully which type is right for you. In the right column you find a good overview in “Overview on potential residence permits”.

In most cases a subsequent change of the residence permit is not possible.


All foreigners (except EU nationals) who would like to stay in Germany for an extended time or would like to take up employment need a suitable residence permit.

You can apply for the residence permit at the responsible German mission in your home country.

There are different types of residence permits depending on what you are going to do in Germany and whether you fulfil certain requirements.

Depending on the residence permit the options regarding employment restrictions, residence permits for spouses and the social benefits differ.

When you sign a work contract with the university and become an employee of TU Darmstadt you take up a regular employment.

In this case you will need a residence permit that allows you to work (§18, §19, §19a, §20). A residence permit for students (§ 16) is in this case not applicable (even though you are a phd-student/doctoral candidate).

You find an overview on potential residence permits in the right column.

Please be advised that you have to register within one week at the residents' registration office once you are in Germany.

What is a residence permit/residence title?

The residence title defines your legal status with regard to your right of residence. Since 2011 the document stating your residence permit comes as an electronic residence title in credit card format.

The residence title defined in the “AufenthG – Residence Act” determines for which purpose and by which conditions third country nationals are allowed to stay in Germany.

In general the residence permit is only temporary. Therefore the residence title also states for how long a person is allowed to stay in Germany.

In most cases an extension is possible. Still, you have to apply for an extension of your residence title in time prior to the date of expiry.

You must apply for your new electronic residence permit at the aliens authority in person at least between four to six weeks before your current residence permit expires. Your local aliens authority will be happy to provide you with further information on the application procedure.

The local aliens authority

Once you are in Germany the local aliens departments are your point of contact in all regards concerning your residence permit. After you have registered with the residents' registration office you will receive an invitation from the aliens authority for an appointment.

If you are living in Darmstadt you can find the aliens authority responsible for you here:

Bürger- und Ordnungsamt –
Abt. Ausländer- und Staatsangehörigkeitswesen, Sachgebiet Ausländerbehörde
Zimmer 111
Grafenstraße 30,
64283 Darmstadt
7:30 a.m. – 12:30 p.m.
7:30 a.m. – 12:30 p.m.
8:30 a.m. – 12:30 p.m. and 02:00 – 06:00 p.m.
7:30 a.m. – 12:30 p.m.
  Please be advised that a formal appointment is required for requests. You find more details on this and a form to request an appointment on the website of the aliens authority (in German only).

If you are living in the Landkreis Darmstadt-Dieburg* this is the aliens authority in charge for you:

Ausländerbehörde des Landkreises Darmstadt-Dieburg
Street address (visitors):
Zwischenstandort Resopal
Hans-Böckler-Str. 4
64823 Groß-Umstadt

Postal address:
Kreisverwaltung Darmstadt-Dieburg
64276 Darmstadt
8:00 a.m – 12:00 p.m.*
8:00 a.m – 12:00 p.m.**
By appointment only
8:00 a.m – 12:00 p.m.*
8:00 a.m – 12:00 p.m.*

*Acceptance until 30 minutes prior to the end of the office hours
**Only visa procedures
Phone: 06071 / 881-1261, 06071 / 881-1262 or 06071 / 881-1256
E-Mail: Auslaenderamt(at)ladadi.de

*The following communities belong to the Landkreis Darmstadt-Dieburg: Alsbach-Hähnlein, Babenhausen, Bickenbach, Dieburg, Eppertshausen, Erzhausen, Fischbachtal, Griesheim, Groß-Bieberau, Groß-Umstadt, Groß-Zimmern, Messel, Modautal, Mühltal, Münster, Ober-Ramstadt, Otzberg, Pfungstadt, Reinheim, Roßdorf, Schaafheim, Seeheim-Jugenheim, Weiterstadt

Which documents are necessary to apply for a residence title?

The documents that are necessary to apply for a residence title might be different from person to person.

Normally you receive a letter from the foreigners’ registration office which includes a list of the required documents.

In general the following documents are required:

  • National identification document/ Passport with visa and entry stamp (please make sure that your document is valid for the complete duration of your stay)
  • Two recent biometric passports pictures
  • Proof of employment or association with a research institute (for example the work contract, scholarship acceptance and invitation letter from the host institution/department)
    • if you possess a work contract: proof of income for the last three months plus work contract
    • if you don't possess a work contract: proof of financing (scholarship contract, commitment from a person living in Germany, blocked bank account at a German bank) and proof of enrollment as a phd student at the university
  • Proof of health insurance (health insurance card)
  • Rental agreement
  • Registration confirmation received at the residents' registration office
  • If you are coming to Germany with your family you will need your marriage certificate and the birth certificates of your children. Those documents have to bear apostille confirmation or must be legalised by a German mission! You will also need certfied German translations of those documents.
  • Filled in application form (you will receive this from the aliens authority)
  • Processing fee
  • Additional documents may be required; please check the letter from the aliens authority carefully

Please bring copies of all requested documents and in addition the original documents.

Please note that the appointment will be held in German. We would be glad to accompany you to this appointment. If you want us to come with you, please inform us of the appointment soon as possible.

Please contact the Welcome Centre at an early stage so that we can support you at your start at the TU Darmstadt. Please fill in the contact form.


This website is for information purposes only and the statements are not legally binding. Please contact the authorities to clarify which regulations apply in your case.