Welcome Centre – Accompanying Partner or Family

Accompanying Partner or Family

If you would like to come to Germany with your partner or family, you should inform yourself about the legal requirements at an early stage.

Both a longer stay and a position of gainful employment will require a permit if you are a non-EU national.

Individuals who possess a citizenship from another EU state, in most cases, have the right to freedom of movement and therefore are not required to obtain a permit or visa.

Subsequent immigration of family members from non-EU countries

For an application for subsequent immigration of family members, the following requirements must be met:

  • the foreigner living in Germany must hold a residence permit or settlement permit (Aufenthalts- oder Niederlassungserlaubnis)
  • the foreigner living in Germany must demonstrate that adequate financial resources are available so that the livelihood of the family (including the costs of health insurance) is secured without public funding
  • there must be sufficient accommodation available (at least 12m² per person)
  • there may be no reason for expulsion

The immigration of family members must be requested well in advance at the proper authorities.

The conditions for subsequently immigrating family members depend on the visa regulations that apply to the respective home country.

Please come in contact with the Germany Embassy or Consulate (Deutsche Auslandsvertretung) in your home country well before your departure.

If your family is still in your home country and you want to organize the family immigration from Germany, please contact the aliens authority (Ausländerbehörde) which is responsible for you. Both institutions provide you with concrete information on the required documents, legal principles and procedures which need to be followed.

The documents that are required vary from country to country. You can find this information on the website of the German diplomatic mission in your home country. The following examples show the regulations and documents required for Egypt and China:

Family immigration Egypt (in German)

Spousal immigration China

Work opportunities for your partner

In order to work in Germany, your partner needs a residence permit which authorizes him or her to engage in paid employment. To obtain this, a concrete job offer must be submitted to the immigration authorities.

In the next step the Federal Employment Agency (Bundesagentur für Arbeit) will check to see if this job position could be filled by a German or EU-citizen. Only when this possibility can be ruled out will a work permit (Arbeitserlaubnis) be issued. This process can take weeks or even months. It is highly recommended that you point out that your partner will be seeking gainful employment in Germany when applying for the visa.

Important tip: When you are staying in Germany with the research visa (Forschervisum (§20)), the EU Blue Card (der Blauen Karte EU (§19a)) or with a settlement permit (Niederlassungserlaubnis), your partner will receive with the issuance of a residence permit the right to engage in gainful employment. A check of the job offer by the Federal Employment Agency will not be carried out. The status must however be documented at the aliens authority.

Recognition of foreign professional qualifications

In order to receive a qualified job on the German labor market, the professional qualification of your partner must first be recognized in Germany. Your partner may make the request for recognition before your departure for Germany from abroad. Detailed information about the procedures and the documents required can be found on the website of the Federal Office for Migration and Refugees (Bundesministeriums für Migration und Flüchtlinge).

Job search in Germany for your partner

For the job search there are many different options:

  • Internet portals
  • Weekend editions of newspapers/weekly or regional newspapers
  • Company websites
  • Federal Employment Agency (Bundesagentur für Arbeit) – Job board (Jobbörse)

For people from EU countries, who enjoy freedom of movement, the EU offers a special Internet portal for the job search: EURES – The European Job Mobility Portal

For people who are mainly interested in jobs in the field of research, EURAXESS – Researchers in Motion is an interesting job portal.

If your partner is looking for a job at TU Darmstadt, current job openings can be found on the website of the Department of Personnel and Legal Matters (Dezernat für Personal- und Rechtsangelegenheiten).


The information contained on the pages of the Welcome Office are for guidance only and are intended to provide a general overview. The statements made here are not legally binding. Please check with the relevant authorities to find the regulations which are relevant to your situation.