Welcome Centre - Benefits for families

Benefits for families

In Germany there are various state benefits which provide support for families. Particularly for the time shortly after birth special financial services are provided by the state. In addition, there are many more offers for low-income families such as child support or education and participatory benefits which help relieve some of the pressure on young parents.

Child support

What is child support?

Parents receive state support for their children from birth until the age of 18. For children who study or participate in an apprenticeship the support will continue until the age of 25.

For the first two children the parents will receive for each of the children 184,-€ per month. The support for the third child is slightly higher at 190,-€ per month and the fourth child receives the maximum monthly rate of 215,-€ (As of 2013).

In order to receive this support the children must have their residence or habitual residence within Germany or another member state of the European Union.

Where can I apply for child support?

In general, the application must be submitted in writing.

When you are an employee of the TU Darmstadt:

As an employee of the public service, you will receive the child benefits directly from your employer. Information and application forms can be obtained from the responsible HR staff (Personalsachbearbeitern).

If you are not employed at the TU Darmstadt (eg. scholarship holder, if entitled):

People who are not employed at the TU Darmstadt, will receive the child benefits from the Family Fund of the Federal Employment Agency if they qualify to receive social benefits. Click here to apply.

Parental allowance

If you live and work in Germany and are expecting a baby, then the parental allowance (Elterngeld) and parental leave scheme (Elternzeitregelung) is relevant to you. The parental allowance is intended to compensate for the temporary loss of income after the birth of a child. Referring to the time when full-time employment is interrupted for the care of the child.

Important facts about parental allowance:

  • The parental allowance is approximately 65% – 67% of the previous net income (minimum 300,-€ and maximum 1.800,-€ per month)
  • Parental allowance is paid for 12 months.
  • If both parents take parental leave, the parental allowance will be paid for a max. of 14 months. In this case one parent can receive the benefit for a minimum of 2 months and a maximum of 12 months.
  • Even if a person was not working before the birth, he or she can still receive parental allowance.
  • Scholarship holders, who intermit receiving their scholarship for the parental leave period will receive, regardless of the amount of the scholarship, the minimum rate of 300,-€ per month.

To receive parental allowance, the following requirements must be met:

  • The child must be cared for by one of the parents after the birth
  • The child lives with the parents in the house
  • The parent receiving parental allowance may only work a maximum of 30 hours per week
  • The permanent address of the parents is in Germany

The closest parental allowance office:

Hessisches Amt für Versorgung und Soziales Darmstadt

Schottener Weg 3, 64289 Darmstadt

Phone: 06151/738-0 (Zentrale)

E-mail: poststelle-vada@havs-dar.hessen.de

Childcare supplement

As of 01.08.2013 a childcare supplement (Betreuungsgeld) will be available. The monthly supplement is available to parents who privately care for their children until the child’s third birthday.

It complements the parental allowance and can be applied in parallel to the parental leave. The payment of the childcare supplement is is unaffected by how much the parent works. However, children who are registered for the childcare supplement may not receive any services according to § 24 Abs. 2 SGB VIII (early childhood education in a daycare center or family day care).

Parents can receive the childcare supplement for children that were born after 01.08.2012. Because the childcare supplement complements the parental allowance scheme, the parents will receive 100,-€ per month for children who are two years of age, and 150,- € per month for children who are in their third year.

Who can apply for government benefits?

To support parents and families financially there are various state benefits in Germany. Whether or not you can claim these benefits depends on your nationality or the type of residence permit you hold.

Non-EU nationals:

For non-EU nationals, granting of financial assistance depends on what residence permit they have:

  • If you hold a residence permit for researchers (Aufenthaltstitel für Forscher (§20)) or the EU Blue Card (Blaue Karte EU (§19a)) you can apply for these funds.
  • If you are in Germany with a regular work visa (Arbeitsvisum (§18)), your claim must be checked on an individual basis.
  • Persons residing in Germany with a student visa (Studentenvisum (§16)) are normally not eligible for these government services. Exceptions may apply to persons who are nationals of the countries: Algeria, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Kosovo, Morocco, Serbia, Montenegro, Tunisia and Turkey.

EU nationals:

If you are a citizen of the European Union or the European Economic Area and are employed or have your permanent residence in Germany, you are eligible for these benefits.


This website is for information purposes only and the statements are not legally binding. Please contact the authorities to clarify which regulations apply in your case.