A student excursion to Nicaragua was conducted from 15.07. – 03.08.2015. The aim of the excursion was to visit different infrastructures of the water and energy industry.
The objectives of the excursion, besides the visit to our partner university, Universidad Tecnológica La Salle in León and their experimental structural water installations, were as follows:
- Hydraulic infrastructure of the Apanás dam system (barrier structures, hydroelectric power plant, flood relief system, discharge structures)
- Geothermal power plant San Jacinto
- Water treatment plant and wastewater treatment plant in Boaco
- Central wastewater treatment plant in the capital Managua
- Gesellschaft für internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ) in Managua
- Wind power plant Camilo Ortega in Rivas
- Planned route of the Nicaraguan Canal (Rivas)
The excursion was attended by 24 students and 2 PhD students from the Faculty of Civil and Environmental Engineering. The excursion was led by Dr.-Ing. Jochen Hack.