Preparing for University
For perspective students
The ZKF consistently offers, in close collaboration with the Language Resource Center at TU Darmstadt, and independently from the lecture periods of the university, 4 university preparation courses of differing levels, all of which have a particular emphasis on [the German?] language. These courses comprehensively prepare refugees interested in studying with the required language skills for admission to a German University.
At a glance:
- Modular structure (10 weeks per module)
- Teaching of academic language, with technical terminology being taught from the very beginning
- Daily instruction, 24 hours per week
- Participation is free of cost
A goal-oriented supporting program, which consists of regular study-related training programs and in-depth mentoring round out the language offerings.
- In order to secure a spot in our university preparation courses, you must first apply.
- Applications will be open again until July 15, 2019 for courses starting in October 2019.
- Participation in the Campus Orientation Tour, a Transcript Review, and the TestAS is mandatory for all those interested in applying, and must be completed before the application deadline
Participation in the Campus Orientation
During this interactive information event, we will explain the requirements for participation in the university preparation courses and provide a first look at the diverse degree programs TU Darmstadt offers. The event will be conducted by one employee and two student employees from the ZKF. In many cases, the information from this event can be translated into your native language. For the conclusion of the event, all participants are invited enjoy a meal together in the cafeteria.
To participate in the Campus Orientation Tour at TU Darmstadt, simply fill out the registration form below.
Registration for Campus Orientation
Review of academic qualifications
After the Campus Orientation Tour, you can make an appointment for the Transcript Review. During this Review, you will discover if you have the qualifications required to study in Germany.
The following documents are required for the Review:
- School-leaving qualifications
- University certificates (if available)
- Language certificates (if available)
The certificates must be translated to German, English, or French.
In the case that you cannot present your documents at all or only in part, we ask that you still make an appointment for the Transcript Review. Everything else can be discussed during an individual appointment.
In order to arrange for an appointment for the Transcript Review, please write us an email.
Taking the TestAS
As of October 2016, the completion of the TestAS is required for anyone who wishes to take part in our preparatory language courses.
You can register for the test via the TestAS-Portal. On this website, in addition to registering, you can also inform yourself about the test itself and the upcoming test dates.
- Taking the TestAS for free is only possible once.
- Cancellation of your registration is only allowed during the registration period. If you forget to cancel your registration during the registration period, your failure to be present on the test day will be recorded as a failed attempt.
- Please remind yourself of the location and start time of the test shortly before the test day. To do this, log in with your personal login data to the TestAS-Portal.
To prepare for the test, you can download practice tests in German, English or Arabic from the portal or pick them up from us in the office.
Documents to be submitted
Have you attended the Campus Orientation Tour?
Has your University Entrance Qualification been approved via the Review of academic qualifications?
Have you completed the TestAS?
If you can answer all of these questions with “yes“, please send us the following documents for your application:
- Letter of Motivation
- TestAS Certificate, or proof of participation
- Verification of German language skills (if available)
Assessment & Placement
After you have submitted a complete application to us, we will invite you to our internal placement exam for the preparatory language courses.
Your previous language certificate will not predetermine your placement.
Through this test we will examine your skills in the areas „Listening Comprehension”, “Text Comprehension, including Vocabulary and Grammar”, as well as “Written Text Production”. There will be no oral examination in conjunction with this test.
After the placement exam, we will put together a ranked list and assign you a place in one of the courses.
You will obtain more information about the start of the courses via email.