Visa Regulations for Degree-Seeking and International Exchange Students

Obtain information on the different visa regulations you need to observe prior to travelling to Germany.

International students who do not come from a member state of the European Union usually need to have a valid visa before travelling to Germany. Please contact the German embassy of your home country at least three months prior to your departure to Germany in order to obtain information on the specific visa regulations of your home country.

Please make sure that your passport is valid for at least 18 months after you enter Germany.

Residence Permit for the Purpose of Studying

As a student with a passport from certain countries (further information can be obtained at the German embassy) you do not need a visa to enter Germany. However, you need to apply for a residence permit for the purpose of studying within the first twelve weeks after entering Germany if you stay in the European Schengen area for more than 90 days. If you are a citizen from a country subject to visa requirements, please check your country’s specific requirements prior to coming to Germany. Applying for a residence permit for the purpose of studying costs approximately 160 EUR.

In order to apply for a residence permit, you need to submit a formal application (which you will receive in Germany) and submit the following documents to the relevant immigration authority of your place of residence in Germany.

  • Your enrolment certificate which proves that you are a registered student of TU Darmstadt and/or participate in the intensive German language course
  • Rental contract of your flat/room in Germany
  • Proof of health insurance
  • Valid passport and a copy of the image page
  • Proof of sufficient financial means – proof that you can cover the costs of an academic education and life in Germany during your study or research stay
  • 2 biometric passport photos (35 x 45 mm)

Proof of Sufficient Financial Means

According to German law, international students who wish to apply for a residence permit for the purpose of studying need to demonstrate that they have sufficient funds for their stay in Germany. The German government has determined a sum of at least 853 EUR per month.

There are two ways to prove that you have sufficient financial means for your stay.

The amount of 853 EUR for six months (= EUR 5,118 for one semester) is paid into a blocked account in Germany. You should take care of this directly after coming to Germany. There are two ways to transfer money to your account. You can withdraw money from your account in your home country and pay the sum into your German account. Or you can ask a person of your trust to transfer money to your German account. In order to do this, you will need to have the IBAN number.

Alternatively, a relative/friend with sufficient financial means can fill in the so-called “Declaration of commitment” at the German consulate or embassy – this makes him or her your guarantor.

At the immigration authority you will receive a form for your German bank in order to request that a set amount of your assets is not directly accessible. With this form, a special kind of account administration becomes effective, which allows you to withdraw only up to 720 EUR per month. This ensures that you have enough money at your disposal every month to cover the living expenses until the end of your stay in Germany. You can transfer more money to your regular account at the same bank, which does not have restrictions on how much money can be withdrawn.