Who can apply?
Postdocs as well as advanced doctoral candidates…
Please note: In all three cases, it is assumed that the proposal will be written at a department of TU Darmstadt.
- …whose individual funding runs out before the start of the next funding period.
- (A) … of TU Darmstadt, who prepare a proposal for individual third-party funding for a postdoctoral position at TU Darmstadt (staying).
Application form A
- (B) … from external institutions (national and international), who prepare a proposal for individual third-party funding for a postdoctoral position at TU Darmstadt (incoming).
Application form B
- (C) … of TU Darmstadt, who prepare a proposal for individual third-party funding for a postdoctoral position at another (national or international) institution (outgoing).
Application form C
What we offer
Financial support for the duration of max. 12 months during transition phases (Ph.D. to postdoc, postdoc to postdoc and postdoc to junior research group leader).
The level of support granted depends on your research experience and the planned individual external funding:
For researchers coming to Darmstadt:
- advanced Ph.D student/postdoc to (next) postdoc: expected grant of 1.800 €
- postdoc to junior research group leader: expected grant of 2.100 €
- a broad range of research and career opportunities at one of Germany’s top universities of technology
- an inspiring and professional environment for your research
- access to research support programmes at TU Darmstadt (e.g. Ingenium qualification programme and networking programme)
Please hand in (as one PDF file)
- application form A, B or C
- information about the individual external funding you plan to apply for: funding programme, funding period, institution, where research project will be conducted (1 page)
- summary of planned research project, incl. structural involvement in institution, time schedule of proposal preparation (max. 5 pages)
- graduation certificates (copies)
- letter of acceptance from research group/professor you are going to stay with during the Career Bridging Grant
- statement about financial situation, incl. proof of non-existing funding options for the proposal period (e.g. expiring employment contract or stipend)
- Ph.D. certificate or proof of Ph.D. submission/ statement from your supervisor that the Ph.D. will be completed within the next 6 months (Please be aware that the Career Bridging Grant can start after the defense of your dissertation at the earliest)
- certificates/ proof of scientific excellence (publications, awards, scholarships)
How we select
The competitive selection process is organized by TU Darmstadt. Applications will be reviewed by scientific committee Postdoc Career Programme. The committee meets twice a year.
The most important selection criteria are:
- scientific excellence (publications, awards, scholarships)
- scientific quality of planned research project
- determination and motivation of young researcher
- chances of success of external funding acquisition
You can hand in your proposal any time. The proposals get evaluated twice a year (cut-off dates in spring and autumn). Next cut-off date will be 15 May 2020.
We are looking forward to receiving your proposal.
Please send your proposal electronically as one PDF file to
Ms Dr. Bettina Wagner