Jobs & Part-time Work

International students can work while studying at TU Darmstadt.

Students coming from the European Union, Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway and Switzerland can access the German job market without restrictions.

International Students coming from all other countries can work up to 120 full days or 240 half days per year. However, they cannot be self-employed or freelancers.

While participating in any of the study preparation activities, such as Academic Bridging Courses(Studienkolleg) or language courses, students may only seek gainful employment during the school breaks and with the permission from the Federal Employment Agency (Agentur für Arbeit).

You can also apply for any of the student jobs offered by TU.

Gainful employment during visa-free stays
As a precautionary measure, the Foreigners' Registration Office would like to point out that persons who enter Germany without a visa are not allowed to pursue gainful employment. Foreigners who are included in Annex II of the EU Visa Regulation are exempt from the requirement to be in possession of a visa when crossing the external borders of the Schengen States.

If gainful employment is taken up after a visa-free entry and before a residence permit is issued, the foreigner's stay is no longer legal, according to Section 17 (2) of the Residence Ordinance. It is then a case of illegal residence and illegal gainful employment. Measures to terminate the residence permit must then be initiated. Employment is not permitted even if a residence permit has been applied for and a fictitious certificate has been issued in accordance with Section 81 (3) of the Residence Act. Only when a residence permit is issued for the first time may gainful employment be pursued to the extent specified therein.

You can find student jobs at:

  • Online portal for job search:Stellenwerk
  • Citybüro der Agentur für Arbeit: 06151 – 304 304

For more information regarding financial support as a student, please visit our Financing Your Studies & Scholarships website.


The information on this website is not legally binding.