Preparatory steps

Before arriving in Darmstadt you will need to tackle some administrative and practical issues. It is important to begin visa applications as early as possible. Appropriate travel health insurance is required for all visa application. The search for suitable accommodation should also be a priority. The housing market in Darmstadt is very competitive.

Visa applications to travel to Germany and begin employment and / or to conduct research at TU Darmstadt need supporting documentation from the university. After you register with us, we will assess your situation and provide any relevant documentation for your visa appointment.

Important: If you are not a European Union national (including Iceland, Lichtenstein, Norway and Switzerland) and have been offered an employment contract with TU Darmstadt then you need a visa to travel to Germany which explicitly permits employment. Without this visa you will not be able to sign your employment contract.

Comprehensive information on the relevant categories of visa as well as the visa application process can be found at Please also check the website of the relevant German mission (Auslandsvertretung) of the country you are normally resident in for any country specifc additional requirements.

A list of the German missions (Auslandsvertretungen) can be found at the Federal Foreign Office (Auswärtiges Amt).

If you are already in Germany and plan to transfer to TU Darmstadt, you need to consider a number of things.

If you are not a European Union national (including Iceland, Lichtenstein, Norway and Switzerland) and have been offered an employment contract with TU Darmstadt then you need a residence title which explicitly permits employment. Without this residence title you will not be able to sign your employment contract.

Comprehensive information on the relevant categories of residence titles as well as the change of a student residence title to a reseacher residence title can be found at “make it in germany”.

Detailed information on residence titles for researchers can be found at the Federal Office for Migration and Refugees.

Important: Please change your residence title before the start of your research at TU Darmstadt. If you live in another city than Darmstadt then apply for your new residence title before moving to Darmstadt.

The Welcome Centre supports you in the preparation of your application for a residence permit, providing advice on what options are available to you, helping you collate the correct supporting documentation and filling out the German forms.

If you change your position at TU Darmstadt, your current residence title must suit the new situation. You have to change your residence title at the foreigners office assigned to your place of residence. More information as well as a list of foreigner´s offices can be found under Arrival and Orientation .

If you want to start an employment at TU Darmstadt after completing your master´s studies you will have to change your residence title. Information on residence titles for researchers can be found at the Federal Office for Migration and Refugees.For changing your residence title from a student status you need to to present your master´s degree to the respective foreigners office.

If you are a scholarship holder with a student residence title, wanting to start your employment at TU Darmstadt, you need to act accordingly to the aforementioned paragraph.

Important: You cannot sign an employment contract without a suitable residence title.

Finding a suitable accommodation can be challenging. Do begin to look for a suitable apartment early on.

The university Housing Services supports your search for short or long term accommodation and manages the University Guest Houses for international researchers and their families. The Guest Houses offer fully equipped apartments in a good location and are a helpful base for looking for accommodation in Darmstadt.

The Guest Houses are very popular and must be booked well in advance. Information about apartment availability in the guest houses as well as assistance in finding accommodation on the private market can be obtained from the Housing Assistance office .

You have to have a suitable accomodation for applying for a residence permit in Germany. Adults need to have at least 12 sqm and children with an age up to six years at least 10 sqm living space.

If you would like your family to join you after or during your stay, the Welcome Centre is able to offer you advice on the necessary procedures. We are able to help your family members with preparing the correct documentation for the initial embassy appointment. We then provide further support in your next steps at the Foreigners Office here.

In case of an accompanying spouse you have to provide your marriage certificate (with apostille) for applying for family reunion, registering with the local authorities as well as for applying for a residence permit.

The Schengen area consists of a group of states whose borders can be crossed without an identity check. However, it is still mandatory to have a passport or ID card with you.

As an owner of a Schengen-Visa, you have the possibility of traveling freely within the validity of your visa. A visa for airport transit is only valid in the transit zones of international airports.

Third country nationals, owning a valid national residence permit of a Schengen-state can stay in a different Schengen-state for up to 90 days within 180 days. The European Commission offers a tool for calculating your short stays.

For more information, visit the website of the Federal Office for Migration and Refugees.

All visa applications require appropriate health insurance. Please purchase this. We will support you in finding appropriate public or private health insurance for the duration of your time at TU Darmstadt.

Detailed information on health insurance can be found at “Arrival and Orientation” .

  • Employees of TU Darmstadt must be able to document relevant previous employments. Please bring all relevant employment contracts or certificates with you. Documentation can be submitted in German or English.
  • Doctoral candidates must document their previous studies. Please bring all certificates and transcripts of records of previous studies (bachelor, diploma, master or similar) with you. Study certificates can be submitted in German, English or French. For other languages, a certified translation and original document must be submitted.
  • Scholarship holders must bring all documentation regarding their award.
  • If you have children who are legally obliged to go to school you should provide all of their school certificates.
  • Passport (for each incoming family member)
  • If required entry visa (if applicable for each incoming family member)
  • Job offer or letter of invitation and financing statement – if issued hosting agreement

The following documents can be necessary, too

  • Birth certificate (of every incoming family member)
  • Marriage certificate (please inform yourself at the German embassy if formalities like a Notarization or Translation of the documents are necessary)
  • Certified copy of every academic degree
  • Vaccination certificate (card)
  • Declaration of special health needs or disabilities
  • If you want to drive a car in Germany you will need an international drivers licence or depending on your home country a translation of your driver’s licence

To ensure that you enter Germany with all the required documents, please contact the Welcome Centre.


The information on this website is not legally binding.