Residence permit (Aufenthaltstitel)

If you are not a European Union national (including Iceland, Lichtenstein, Norway and Switzerland) , you require an entry visa to begin your research. If you then conduct research for a longer period of time than stated on your entry visa, then you need to convert this entry visa into a residence permit in Germany.

A residence permit defines your legal status with regards to your right of residence and employment in Germany and how long you are allowed to stay in Germany under these terms and conditions. It can be extended.

The Resident Act (AufenthG) sets out which categories of residence permit are available depending on your circumstances and time already spent in Germany.

The Welcome Centre supports you in the preparation of your application for a residence permit, providing advice on what options are available to you, helping you collate the correct supporting documentation and filling out the German forms. We are also able to offer researchers living in Darmstadt direct support at the Foreigners Office at appointments.


The information on this website is not legally binding.