The close cooperation between Escola Politécnica da Universidade de São Paulo (EPUSP) and Technische Universität Darmstadt allows students to pursue a double degree at both universities. Students have the opportunity to get a Master’s degree from TU Darmstadt in addition to the “Diploma de Engenheiro”. The regular duration of study for the double degree amounts to five years (Bachelor’s and Master’s).
The courses at TU Darmstadt are only partially offered in English; the majority of courses are taught in German. That’s why double-degree students have to demonstrate sufficient German-language skills (for further information please refer to the Language Requirements section).
A double degree can be obtained in the following programmes:
- Business Administration/Industrial Engineering – specialising in Mechanical Engineering („Industrial Engineering“)
- Civil Engineering
- Mechanical Engineering – Mechanical and Process Engineering
- Electrical Engineering and Information Technology
The following programmes at ESUSP cannot directly be studied as double degree at TU Darmstadt, but can do the double degree in a related programme:
Mechatronics Students: there is no DD in mechatronics, but you have two options:
- Get a DD from the Department of Electrical Engineering and Information Technology by studying “Automatization”
- Or get a DD from the Department of Mechanical Engineering, please note that in addition to the normal workload you will have to take two additional courses: 1. Numerische Berechnungsverfahren | Numerical Methods (4 ECTS), 2. Technische Mechanik II | Engineering Mechanics II (Elastostatics) (6 ECTS)
Mechanics Students: please note that a double degree can only be obtained by studying within the Department of Mechanical Engineering or Department of Civil Engineering. According to your Learning Agreement, please choose between those Departments and apply accordingly.
Telecommunication Students: please apply at the Department of Electrical Engineering and Information Technology
Course of Study
Students from EPUSP spend their entire undergraduate studies as well as the following two semesters at their home university and come to TU Darmstadt after having completed the sixth semester. They spend the following four semesters at TU Darmstadt and complete the final (11th) semester at EPUSP.
Prerequisites and Application
If you wish to apply for a double degree, you need to display outstanding academic achievements. Furthermore, you are expected to show a high degree of commitment. For the exact application deadlines, please refer to your home university’s international office. Please make sure to inquire about deadlines in due time and plan at least one year ahead. After a successful application at EPUSP, you will have to apply at TU Darmstadt before March 15th for the following winter semester.
In order to successfully participate in the double degree programme, students need to meet the following requirements:
- complete a Learning Agreement in coordination with the partner university
- present a written project work (e.g. Iniciaçao Cientifica) or take a similar exam (only for students of the Department of Electrical Engineering and Information Technology)
- take all necessary exams
- complete a 12-week internship (not for students in the department of Civil and Environmental Engineering)
- the Master’s thesis should be proposed and supervised by professors of both universities. The topic should be a part of one common research field and the thesis has to be written in English.
Students of EPUSP need to submit proof of their German knowledge of level B2 according to the „Common European Framework of Reference for Languages“: Goethe-Zertifikat B2, Deutsches Sprachdiplom Level II (DSD II), TestDaF or a similar certificate which has been acquired within the framework of a German course at EPUSP.