Double Degree Programmes
Welcome to TU Darmstadt!
We are pleased that you are interested in a double degree in cooperation with TU Darmstadt. Here, you will find information on our double-degree programmes and additional tips for newcomers at TU Darmstadt.
TU Darmstadt has entered into double-degree agreements with different partner universities all over the world. These programmes offer qualified students the opportunity to earn two degrees at the same time: a Bachelor of Science or Master of Science at TU Darmstadt and the corresponding degree of the partner university. The recognition of academic achievements of the partner university is guaranteed from the start. Participants complete a large part of their degree in a foreign country. The duration of studies is usually only prolonged slightly. After completing the Master’s degree at TU Darmstadt, both degree certificates – one from TU Darmstadt, one from the partner university – will be conferred to the student.
The following pages will provide you with information about our double-degree programmes. For general inquiries about double degrees, please contact the Unit for International Relations and Mobility.
If you are studying at one of our partner universities and wish to receive an additional degree from TU Darmstadt, please apply directly to your home institution.
You are studying at a European partner university of TU Darmstadt and are interested in a double-degree Master in cooperation with TU Darmstadt? You can get more detailed information about study plans, recognition of academic achievements, costs and formalities from your home university’s departmental coordinator.
The at TU Darmstadt will provide you with valuable information regarding the organisation of your stay. International Student Service
The close cooperation between Escola Politécnica da Universidade de São Paulo (EPUSP) and Technical University of Darmstadt allows students to pursue a double degree at both universities. Students have the opportunity to get a Master’s degree from TU Darmstadt in addition to the “Diploma de Engenheiro”. The regular duration of study for the double degree amounts to six years (Bachelor’s and Master’s).
Students from EPUSP come to TU Darmstadt after having completed the seventh semester. They spend the following four semesters at TU Darmstadt and complete the final (12th) semester at EPUSP.
The majority of courses at TU Darmstadt are taught in German. That’s why double-degree students have to demonstrate sufficient German-language skills (exception: Information and Communication Engineering) for further information please refer to the Language Requirements section.
A double degree can be obtained in the following programmes:
- Business Administration/Industrial Engineering (Teaching language: German) – specialising in Mechanical Engineering („Wirtschaftsingenieur Maschinenbau“)
- Civil Engineering (Teaching language: German)
- Mechanical Engineering (Teaching language: German) – Mechanical and Process Engineering: students who didn’t take PME 3380, PME 3481 at EPUSP will have to take Systemtheorie und Regelungstechnik at TU Darmstadt
- Electrical Engineering and Information Technology (Teaching language: German) or Information and Communication Engineering (Teaching language: English)
Students from the following programmes at EPUSP can do the double degree in a related programme:
Mechatronics Students: there is no DD in mechatronics, but you have two options:
- Get a DD from the Department of Electrical Engineering and Information Technology by studying “Automatization”
- Or get a DD from the Department of Mechanical Engineering, please note that in addition to the normal workload you will have to take two additional courses: 1. Numerische Berechnungsverfahren | Numerical Methods (4 ECTS), 2. Technische Mechanik II | Engineering Mechanics II (Elastostatics) (6 ECTS)
Mechanics Students: please note that a double degree can only be obtained by studying within the Department of Mechanical Engineering or Department of Civil Engineering. According to your Learning Agreement, please choose between those Departments and apply accordingly.
Telecommunication Students: please apply at the Department of Electrical Engineering and Information Technology
Prerequisites and Application
If you wish to apply for a double degree, you need to display outstanding academic achievements. Furthermore, you are expected to show a high degree of commitment. For the exact application deadlines, please refer to your home university’s international office. Please make sure to inquire about deadlines in due time and plan at least one year ahead. After a successful application at EPUSP, you will have to apply at TU Darmstadt before March 15th for the following winter semester.
In order to successfully participate in the double degree programme, students need to meet the following requirements:
- complete a Learning Agreement in coordination with the partner university
- present a written project work (e.g. Iniciaçao Cientifica) or write a bachelor thesis at TU Darmstadt
- take all necessary exams
- Mechanical Engineering only: complete a 12-week internship (the internship can also be done when in Germany but has to be completed before you write your master thesis at TU Darmstadt)
- the Master’s thesis should be proposed and supervised by professors of both universities. The topic should be a part of one common research field and the thesis has to be written in English. The thesis can be written at TU Darmstadt or at EPUSP.
Students of EPUSP need to submit proof of their German knowledge of level B2 according to the „Common European Framework of Reference for Languages“: Goethe-Zertifikat B2, Deutsches Sprachdiplom Level II (DSD II), TestDaF or a similar certificate which has been acquired within the framework of a German course at EPUSP.
Exception: for the English-language Master Information and Communication Engineering please submit proof of English level C1, min.: TOEFL iBT: 88; IELTS 6,5.
You are studying at Tongji University and would like to pursue a Master's degree at TU Darmstadt? We'll show you how it's done!
There is a close cooperative relationship between Tongji University Shanghai and TU Darmstadt. Due to our international focus and the large number of exchanges with partner universities all over the world, some courses of the Master’s programme are offered in English. However, most of them are in German. Within the framework of the Master’s programme examination plan, the requirements of both universities are taken into account. Hence, after having completed the programme successfully, all students obtain a Master’s degree from TU Darmstadt in addition to a Master’s degree from Tongji University.
Students have the once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to discover the culture and language of another country. This experience enables students to build both on their technical and social skills.
Within the framework of the double degree programme, students enrolled in the Mechanical Engineering Programme have the possibility to spend three to four semesters at TU Darmstadt, write their Master’s thesis there and complete their 12-week industrial internship. The Master’s thesis will be assigned by TU Darmstadt. Each student needs to have two supervisors, one from each institution. Double degree students can obtain both degrees within five to six semesters.
The double degree student's course selection should be decided on by the corresponding departments from both Tongji and TU Darmstadt.
TU Darmstadt Facts
- Location, country : Darmstadt, Germany
- Number of students: approx. 27,000
- Number of employees: approx. 4,700
- Number of spots for exchange students : 10
- Double-degree programmes : Mechanical and Process Engineering
- Kindly contact your international office (Ms. Zhou email@example.com) for further information about the application process and funding opportunities while you are still enrolled as a Bachelor's student
- Eligible are: Tongji students who hold a Bachelor’s degree in Mechanical Engineering, Automotive Engineering or Thermal Energy Engineering as well as students who are enrolled in a Master’s degree programme at Tongji
- After having been selected for the double-degree programme at TU Darmstadt, you need to apply online to TU Darmstadt in order to receive your letter of admission
Applicants need to meet the following requirements:
- above-average academic achievements
- fundamental interest in matters relating to vehicle technology and product-technical issues
- extracurricular activities and social skills
- interested in German culture and language
- Master’s programme should be oriented towards the requirements of the double-degree programme
Tongji students need to provide a German language test (16 score of TestDaF) during the application process for the Master’s programme in Germany (one year in advance).
Tuition and Fees
Tongji students pursuing the double-degree programme continue to pay tuition or registration fees at Tongji University. There are no tuition fees at TU Darmstadt, although students have to pay a semester fee (approx. 220 EUR per semester), which includes a ticket for the public transport in the Rhein-Main area. Furthermore, Tongji students are obliged to register for German statutory health insurance (approx. 80 EUR per month) in order to be registered at TU Darmstadt.
For further information please contact:
, director of the Institute for Internal Combustion Engines and Powertrain Systems Prof. Dr. Christian Beidl