We help international degree-seeking students look for accommodation
Darmstadt is a future-oriented city located in the middle of the Rhine-Main region, which is known for its good infrastructure and economic situation. Around 5.5 million people live, work or study in the Rhine-Main region. Therefore the housing situation in Darmstadt is quite tight and thus searching for accommodations can be time-consuming.
TU Darmstadt neither owns nor operates student dormitories. For this reason we offer support to international degree-seeking students in their search for affordable accommodation at the start of their studies.
We offer assistance to newly enrolled international students of the TU Darmstadt.
- We advise and help you when you are looking for suitable accommodation.
- We explain Darmstadt's housing market to you, including general information about renting in Germany.
- We assist you in applying for a room in a shared flat.
- We receive offers from landlords and property owners with whom we have cultivated good contacts, from reliable real estate agents, and through Internet searches.
- Our service is free of charge.
In order to best assist you in finding housing we need details about what you are looking for in an accommodation as well as your budget. In order to gather this information, we request that you complete our . online registration form
We strive to provide you with offers for accommodation in accordance with your specifications and wishes. However, we cannot guarantee a successful match.
|N-Zi-Whg||N-Zimmer-Wohnung||N room apartment (not N bedrooms!)|
|N-ZKB||N-Zimmer + Küche + Bad||N rooms, kitchen and bathroom|
|N-ZKBB||N-Zimmer +Küche + Bad +Balkon||N rooms, kitchen, bathroom, balcony|
|Blk / Balk.||Balkon||balcony|
|DG||Dachgeschoss||under the roof / attic rooms|
|DU||Dusche||shower (can be separate or in the bath tub)|
|G-WC||Gäste-WC||separate toilet for guests|
|Keine zusätzl. Prov.||Keine zusätzliche Provision (Maklergebühren)||no additional commission|
|KDB||Küche, Diele, Bad||kitchen, hall, bathroom|
|MM||Monatsmiete||basic monthly rent|
|NB (Nbk.)||Nebenkosten||extra monthly costs such as heating, water, cable TV, cleaning of shared areas, garbage removal, etc.|
|NF||Nutzfläche||useable area (incl. storage and other, non-living spaces) in m²|
|RH||Reihenhaus||row / terrace house|
|TL||Tageslicht||bathroom with daylight|
|WM/warm||Warmmiete||rental fee incl. all extra monthly costs such as heating, water, cable TV, cleaning of shared areas, garbage removal, etc.|
|Wfl./WF||Wohnfläche||floor space (excluding some defined areas) in m²|
|WG||Wohngemeinschaft||flat-sharing is accepted|
|WK||Wohnküche||large kitchen (can be used as communal space)|
|ZH||zentrale Heizung||central heating|
Even though we ask you to tell us about the kind of accommodation you are looking for, we may not be able find accommodations that exactly match your expectations. Compared to the national average, renting in Darmstadt is relatively expensive.
Prices vary according to location and fixtures/furnishings. An unfurnished room in a 3-person shared flat costs on average 380 EUR in Darmstadt, excluding utilities. A furnished room in a shared flat offered by Studierendenwerk Darmstadt averages about 350 EUR, incl. heating and most utilities. As you move away from Darmstadt prices may be lower and start at around 300 EUR. In order to obtain a lower-priced room, you will have to invest time and have patience.
* Deposit is a term for the rental security on which the landlord can fall back if the tenant does not comply with their obligations to pay rent or compensation for damages. The tenant can make claims for repayment of the rent deposit at the earliest after handing over the apartment to the landlord, as a general rule after the expiry of the settlement period of six months to be granted to the landlord.
TU Darmstadt does not own or operate any student dormitories, so we are not able to offer students rooms of our own.
The non-commercial dormitories in Darmstadt are operated by Studierendenwerk Darmstadt. Their shared flat rooms are very popular. It is therefore recommended that you register for one as soon as you have decided to study at the TU Darmstadt. The Studierendenwerk Darmstadt has an accommodation service that can answer all your questions about the dormitories. You can apply for a room at Studierendenwerk on . their website
Many commercially run student dormitories can be found in Darmstadt. New ones open up regularly. The easiest way to find out what is currently available is through an internet search. Or ask us for current information.
If you have signed a rental contract, please note:
- The rent is paid directly to the landlord.
- The rent is due at the beginning of each month.
- Quite often, you have to pay a deposit (usually 2-3 monthly rental payments) before you move in. This deposit, plus accrued interest, will be returned to you if the apartment is in good condition when you move out.
- Usually the rent has to be paid for a whole month. This means that even if you move in on the 15th, you have to pay the entire month’s rent.