Health Insurance for Degree-Seeking Students

In order to enrol at TU Darmstadt, you need to have health insurance.

In order to enrol at TU Darmstadt, you need to have health insurance. Please obtain information about which services and treatments are covered by your health insurance before coming to Darmstadt.

Depending on the country you come from, there are differences regarding health insurance. Please make sure that one of the following applies to you.

If you have a European Health Insurance Card (EHIC), please make sure that it is valid during your entire stay or for at least one semester.

Upload a copy of your EHIC during the online application or have it ready upon your arrival.

We also accept Form E106.

The European Health Insurance Card only covers treatment for medical emergencies. If you need normal treatment, you might get an invoice from the doctor. You can submit this invoice to your health insurance in your home country for reimbursement. Please note that the reimbursement differs in every country. Make sure you obtain information from your health insurance beforehand.

If you come from a country that is not a member of the European Union, you can upload the social security agreement form during the online application or present it upon your arrival in Darmstadt. It has to be valid for at least three months after the beginning of the semester.

As soon as you are in Darmstadt, your confirmation will be checked and approved by a German statutory health insurance provider. You can only use it to enrol at TU Darmstadt if it has been approved by such a provider.

  • Bosnia-Herzegovina: BH 6
  • Macedonia: D/RM 111
  • Montenegro: De/MNE 111
  • Serbia: DE 111 SRB
  • Serbia: DE 111 SRB
  • Turkey: A/T 11

Turkish students often face a special situation concerning health insurance (since Turkey is not an EU member state). Therefore, we have compiled some information about necessary steps in your home country. Please note that all available information is based on experiences of our exchange students.

International students who do not have a European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) or Form E106 need to purchase German statutory health insurance prior to their stay at TU Darmstadt.

Student health insurance costs around EUR 105 per month and it usually has to be purchased for the entire semester.

Important: The winter semester at TU Darmstadt starts in October, the summer semester in April. That’s why the German statutory health insurance is only valid from 1 October (or 1 April). If you are travelling to Germany earlier, for example in order to participate in our intensive German language courses in September or March, you need to have valid travel insurance for this period. Please refer to your health insurance in your home country for information on purchasing travel insurance.

If you do not have a European Health Insurance Card or Form E106 and if you are more than 30 years old during your stay or have already completed 14 semesters or more, you have to purchase private health insurance. This means that you will have to pay all incurred costs (treatment and follow-up costs) – your health insurance will usually reimburse the costs later.

Private Health Insurance from a Foreign Country

In general, private health insurance from foreign countries is not accepted by authorities for foreigners, since there is no way to make sure that all the services and treatments covered by private health insurance corresponds to what is covered by German statutory insurance.

Travel Insurance

Travel insurance, which might be accepted by German embassies, is still not sufficient to enrol at TU Darmstadt, because it only covers medical emergencies during the period you have a valid visa. There is one exception for students who purchase German health insurance for the semester and travel to Germany prior to the official start of the semester (1 April, 1 October). This is the case if you participate in the intensive German language course. Travel health insurance is accepted for this period (September or March).