Who can apply?
Postdocs, who are employed as research assistants at TU Darmstadt and who are planning a research stay abroad.
The approval of a host institution and the concept of your research project abroad must already be available at the time of application. A host institution abroad can be a university, a non-university research institution or a research department in industry.
Your application must be supported by the department in which you are employed at TU Darmstadt.
Please note that persons with foreign nationality may apply under certain conditions, such as residence and visa requirements and a declaration of intention to return.
What does the grant offer?
The “Ernst Ludwig Mobility Grant” is awarded to promote a research stay abroad for a period of three to a maximum of six months.
In the process …
Please note that the “Ernst Ludwig Mobility Grant” can only be used once during the qualification phase (R2).
- you will remain employed as an employee at TU Darmstadt for the duration of your stay abroad and will be released from your current work duties in order to carry out your research project while continuing to pay your salary;
- you will receive the “Ernst Ludwig Mobility Scholarship” to cover the additional costs of your stay abroad (the amount varies according to countries and regions);
- you (and any accompanying spouses or registered civil partners and children) will receive a travel allowance at the usual DAAD rates.
What is to be submitted?
You hand in …
At the end of the stay abroad financed by the mobility programme, a report of a maximum of five pages must be written by the funded person(s), which deals with the progress of the research project and the effects of the stay abroad on the research project as well as the personal acquisition of competence. You may be invited by the Association of Friends of Technische Universität of Darmstadt e.V. to present your experiences and results at the Association's General Assembly.
- Online application form
- list of publications
- graduation certificates (copies)
- Ph.D. certificate (copy)
- copy of current employment contract at TU Darmstadt (for temporary employment contracts, the duration of the contract must cover the period of the planned stay abroad)
- presentation of the research project (maximum 5 pages; incl. presentation of the research and processing status, reasons for the necessity of the stay abroad and choice of host institution, embedding in your postdoc project, detailed work and time schedule with individual work steps and time reference)
- commitment by the foreign host institution to the workplace and supervision or research permit
- language certificates, if available
- if applicable, proof of other income during the stay abroad
- support letter from the head of the department (incl. declaration of consent to release from work and continued payment of remuneration)
According to which criteria does the selection committee select?
The selection is made by the selection committee “Nachwuchsprogramme” of TU Darmstadt, in which all disciplines of TU Darmstadt and the Gender Equality Officer are represented, as well as one representative each from the board and board of directors of the Association.
The most important selection criteria are:
- convincing academic qualifications (academic achievements, doctorate, quality and number of publications, prizes and awards)
- quality of the technical presentation of the research project and of the preparatory work
- originality, timeliness and relevance of the research project
- feasibility of the research project and consistency of the work plan and timetable
- embedding the research project into the overall research concept in terms of content and time
- suitability of the host institution (reasons for the stay abroad and choice of host institution)
- significance of the research project and the stay abroad for the development of the personal skills profile
You can hand in your proposal any time. The proposals get evaluated twice a year (cut-off dates in spring and autumn). Next cut-off date will be in autumn 2019.
We are looking forward to receiving your proposal.
Please send your proposal electronically as one PDF file to
Ms Dr. Bettina Wagner