There are a range of insurance policies in Germany which insure individuals and families against different forms of damage and emergency situations.
In Germany there is the liability principle. Anyone who causes a loss must also be liable for the consequences with their own assets. Germans insure against this risk with personal liability insurance (private Haftpflichtversicherung). We strongly recommend that you take out private liability insurance whilst in Germany.
Other common private insurances are:
- Household contents insurance (Hausratversicherung)
- Legal insurance (Rechtsschutzversicherung)
- Life insurance (Lebensversicherung)
- Occupational disability insurances (Berufsunfähigkeitsversicherungen)
- Private accident insurance (private Unfallversicherung)
If you would like further advice on this topic we recommend that you contact an insurance broker (Versicherungsmakler).
The information on this website is not legally binding.