Residence permit

All internationals (except EU nationals) who would like to stay in Germany for an extended time, whether this is for study or work purposes, will need a suitable residence permit. The residence title defines your legal status with regard to your right of residence here in Germany.

The residence title defined in the “AufenthG – Residence Act” determines for which purpose and by which conditions third country nationals are allowed to stay in Germany.

In general the residence permit is only temporary. Therefore the residence title also states for how long a person is allowed to stay in Germany.


Please find below more information on what is needed to apply for a residence permit according to your Nationality.

no visa necessary, entry with national identification document

  • No visa required, entry with passport
  • If you are planning to stay for more than three months you'll need to apply for a residence permit once you arrive in Germany.
  • Non EU Students or students without a visa will get a letter from the Foreigners Office with an appointment for your residence permit application about 5-6 days after registering at the city hall.
  • Visa required
  • You have to apply for a visa at the responsible German mission (for example a German embassy) in your home country or current residence. If you are currently studying and living in a different country you will have to apply for your visa in your current city of residence.
  • Please contact the responsible German mission where you plan to apply for your visa. The mission will let you know which documents you will have to provide in order to apply for a visa.
  • Please apply for the visa as early as possible. The whole process can take up to three months sometimes even longer.

Residence Permit

Please find below information about what you need to consider, required documents and where you can apply for a residence permit if you need one.

To obtain a residence permit you will need to fill out the “Antrag auf Erteilung einer Aufenthaltserlaubnis – Aufenthaltsgesetz (AufenthG)” form. This form will automatically be sent to you by mail from the Foreigners Office together with your appointment date after registering at the city hall.

Watch our video tutorial on how to fill out your first residence permit application

Once you are in Germany the local foreigners office is your point of contact in all regards concerning your residence permit. After you have registered with the residents' registration office you will receive an invitation from the aliens authority for an appointment.

If you are living in Darmstadt you can find the aliens authority responsible for you here:

Bürger- und Ordnungsamt – Abt. Ausländer- und Staatsangehörigkeitswesen, Sachgebiet Ausländerbehörde

Zimmer 111, Grafenstraße 30, 64283 Darmstadt

Office hours
Monday, 7:30 a.m. – 12:30 p.m.
Tuesday, 7:30 a.m. – 12:30 p.m.
Wednesday, 8:30 a.m. – 12:30 p.m. and 02:00 – 06:00 p.m.
Friday, 7:30 a.m. – 12:30 p.m.

If you are living in the Landkreis Darmstadt-Dieburg* this is the aliens authority in charge for you:

Ausländerbehörde des Landkreises Darmstadt-Dieburg
Street address (visitors)
Zwischenstandort Resopal, Hans-Böckler-Str. 4, 64823 Groß-Umstadt

Postal address
Kreisverwaltung Darmstadt-Dieburg, Ausländerbehörde, 64276 Darmstadt

Office hours
Monday, 8:00 a.m – 12:00 p.m.*
Tuesday, 8:00 a.m – 12:00 p.m.**
Wednesday, By appointment only
Thursday, 8:00 a.m – 12:00 p.m.*
Friday, 8:00 a.m – 12:00 p.m.*

*Acceptance until 30 minutes prior to the end of the office hours
**Only visa procedures

Phone: 06071 / 881-1261, 06071 / 881-1262 or 06071 / 881-1256

The following communities belong to the Landkreis Darmstadt-Dieburg:

Alsbach-Hähnlein, Babenhausen, Bickenbach, Dieburg, Eppertshausen, Erzhausen, Fischbachtal, Griesheim, Groß-Bieberau, Groß-Umstadt, Groß-Zimmern, Messel, Modautal, Mühltal, Münster, Ober-Ramstadt, Otzberg, Pfungstadt, Reinheim, Roßdorf, Schaafheim, Seeheim-Jugenheim, Weiterstadt


The information on this website is not legally binding.