Bank account

German bank account

To open a German bank account you will just need your city registration confirmation (Meldebescheinigung) and your passport.

The student dorm administration does not accept money transfers from non-German bank accounts. You will need to open a local bank account to transfer your rent if you are staying in one of these accommodations. You will also need a local German account to pay for your health insurance every month if you sign up with a German health insurance.

Blocked account

A blocked account is necessary for obtaining/extending your student visa.

You will need:

  • Bank statements from the last 3 months.
  • Admission letter
  • Valid passport
  • Completed Blocked account application form
  • Letter from the foreigners office regarding the amount of money that needs to be on the account

Most banks require you to open a regular German bank account. You will then have to sign a 1-page form switching your regular account to a blocked account. You will need to transfer a certain amount of money per month for every month you intend to stay in Germany onto this account. For more information please visit the following website: Residence permit.


The information on this website is not legally binding.