Vocational-Technical Education – Body Care
(Bachelor of Education)
|Degree: Bachelor of Education|
|Duration: 6 semesters|
1. before the start of the degree programme (requirement for enrolment!):
Related vocational internship of a 52-week-minimum duration or related vocational training in accordance with the internship regulations. The vocational internship is to be fully completed and recognised by the competent departments before the start of the programme;
2. during the Bachelor’s programme: Practical Studies in Schools 1
Requirements for Admission: |
1. General university entrance degree, entrance qualification for universities of applied sciences, similar foreign diplomas, admission as a vocationally qualified student to the universities in the state of Hesse; further information;
2. Proof of a related vocational internship of a 52-week-minimum duration or related vocational training in accordance with the internship regulations. The vocational internship is to be fully completed and recognised by the competent departments before the start of the programme;
3. when choosing Sports Science as a general education subject or as Master of Education: passing the Sports Aptitude Test is an admission requirement for the Sports Science modules (proof thereof before the end of the 4th semester); further information.
4. For some of the consecutive Master of Education programmes following the Bachelor of Education, there are further requirements for enrolment, e.g. foreign language skills. Therefore, please learn more about these courses of study early on.
|Admission Procedure: Restrictions on admission; procedure results (n.c. figures)|
|Part-time Studies: possible under specific conditions|
|Programme Start: winter semester|
|Application Deadline: July 15|
|Application: online application|
|Special Features: –|
Bachelor of Education + Master of Education -> Teaching at Vocational Schools
The programme Teaching at Vocational Schools at the TU Darmstadt consists of two connected study programmes:
- first, the Bachelor of Education programme (6 semesters; vocational field of study) and
- subsequently, the Master of Education programme (4 semesters; subject of general education/subject studies).
Only the completion of both the Bachelor of Education AND the Master of Education is equivalent to the first state examination in the state of Hesse and therefore mandatory for the admission to the preparatory period (teaching practice) or the teaching profession.
Additionally, from winter semester 2018/19 on programmes for a third subject (Ergänzungsstudium Lehramt) are scheduled to take effect.
1. Vocational Field of Study:
The vocational field of study Body Care in the Bachelor of Education programme is divided into a mandatory subject-specific area, an Elective Subject Area and Teaching Methodology.
The Mandatory Subject-specific Area comprises the study fields of Fashion and Aesthetics, Art and Cultural History, Biology and Chemistry. In the Elective Subject Area, the students choose elective modules for 10 CP. They can choose, for example, Fashion and Aesthetics, Cellular Biology or Biochemistry I/II. The Mandatory Subject Area of Teaching Methodology consists of the modules teaching methodology of Fashion and Aesthetics, teaching methodology of Biology and the basic internship in Organic Chemistry II.
2. Second Subject of General Education (Subject Studies and Subject-related Didactics):
During the Bachelor’s programme, the students already choose their second subject which will be integrated into the Bachelor’s programme with 20 CP. This second subject will then be continued in the Master of Education programme.
3. The Educational and Social Sciences consist of Vocational Pedagogy, Vocational Education, and the Practical Studies in Schools 1.
Modulhandbuch (Module Handbook)
Vorlesungsverzeichnis (Course Catalogue)
Fachbereich Humanwissenschaften (Human Sciences)
With the Bachelor of Education, the students will acquire their first professional qualification. However, the Master of Education is a prerequisite for the admission to the teaching profession.
For this reason, it is recommended that students complete a Master’s degree.
Advice for Prospective B.Ed. Students
Teachers in the broad and varied vocational school system give lessons in subjects of general education as well as in theoretical and practical vocational subjects. To be interested in pedagogical work with children and teenagers and to enjoy teaching is essential for this course of study and the profession. In this context, teachers need extensive subject-related knowledge as well as pedagogic-didactic, psychological, communicative, and social skills. Apart from the work in school, the quality of the lessons is determined by their preparation, which is very time-consuming and primarily a matter of home office.
The study contents of the vocational field of study Body Care primarily address fashion trends, techniques and elements of hygiene as well as the biological and chemical fundamentals, which are important particularly with regard to the cosmetics industry.
Those who decide to study Body Care should possess good fundamental skills in chemistry and biology as these two school subjects are of particular importance in the course of study. Furthermore, a basic understanding of fashion phenomena, aesthetics and art is crucial as in their future professional lives, the students train experts who should be open to new developments and fashion trends.
Further information may be found at, for example, www.cct-germany.de
Related Degree Progammes
|General Information: The Bachelor of Education comprises a vocational field of study. In order to complete the teacher training studies, a second subject is required and will be studied in the course of the Master of Education programme. If you have any questions, please contact the Center for Teacher Training (Zentrum für Lehrerbildung) or the respective departmental advisor’s office.|
|German (M.Ed.) (Deutsch, M.Ed.)|
|Ethics (M.Ed.) (Ethik, M.Ed.)|
|History (M.Ed.) (Geschichte, M.Ed.)|
|Computer Science (M.Ed.) (Informatik, M.Ed.)|
|Mathematics (M.Ed.) (Mathematik, M.Ed.)|
|Physics (M.Ed.) (Physik, M.Ed.)|
|Politics and Economics (M.Ed.) (Politik und Wirtschaft, M.Ed.)|
|Protestant Religion (M.Ed.) (Evangelische Religion, M.Ed.)|
|Catholic Religion (M.Ed.) (Katholische Religion, M.Ed.)|
|Sports Science (M.Ed.) (Sportwissenschaft, M.Ed.)|
There are job opportunities for graduates of the Bachelor of Education – Vocational Field of Study Body Care in corporate vocational training institutions, in the field of vocational training studies or in the open labor market.
However, entering the preparatory period (teaching practice) for teaching at vocational schools, vocational grammar schools, technical colleges, specialised upper secondary schools, specialised vocational schools as well as in classes of the basic vocational training year and the vocational preparatory year is only possible after having completed the graduate degree programme Master of Education. Such a degree programme is currently being offered by the TU Darmstadt for the subjects of German, Ethics, History, Informatics, Mathematics, Physics, Politics and Economics, Religion (Evangelic or Catholic), and Sports Science.
Predictions about the future demand for teachers or their employment opportunities are difficult to make as both depend on a number of different factors. This includes, for example, demographic development, the selected combination of subjects or the type of school, the political framework, etc.
TU Darmstadt's offer of Job Shadowing is a quick and simple method of career orientation by accompanying professionally experienced TU Darmstadt alumni for one day.
Further information about career opportunities on the German job market may be found on the following websites:
Hessisches Kultusministerium (Hessian Ministry of Education)