Fit for studying with PreBachelor
Reach the necessary language level with a subject-specific German language course, prepare yourself for your engineering subjects with a mathematics preparation course, acquire the necessary skills with a study skills training and get to know the university and the city with our guided tours. All this is available the semester before you start your studies.
About the Programme
What does the PreBachelor Programme offer?
- Language preparation: The engineering-specific German language course is tailored to teach subject-specific German language skills and leads you from the general German level B2 to the subject-specific language level C1. At the end of the PreBachelor programme you will take an internal language exam. After successfully passing the exam, you will be able to take up your bachelor’s degree studies in engineering at TU Darmstadt the following semester.
- Pre-course in mathematics: A good knowledge of school-level mathematics is fundamental for successful engineering studies. With the help of our multimedia course, you can repeat the most important content from school mathematics and brush up on any gaps in your knowledge.
- Study skills training: Experienced students will train and convey to you the necessary knowledge that you need to study within the German university system. For example, you will find out how German universities function, how your performance will be evaluated, how your studies are organised and how you prepare for exams. Additionally, you will get support while developing individual learning and working techniques for your successful studies.
- Campus and city tours: Our tours will help you to orientate yourself on campus and in Darmstadt. You will get to know the main facilities of the university and gain an insight into central institutions relevant to your studies. You will visit research facilities at TU Darmstadt and learn more about university groups. Additional social events are planned in cooperation with International Student Services and TUtor International.
When does the PreBachelor Programme take place ?
The PreBachelor courses take place every summer semester from 9am to 4pm. The summer-semester lasts from 1st April to 30th September every year.
Who can participate in the PreBachelor Programme?
International student applicants with:
- A direct university entrance qualification
- German language skills at level B2
- The wish to study engineering sciences at TU Darmstadt OR
- Student applicants who applied for an engineering study place at TU Darmstadt
How much does participation cost?
Since the project is still in the pilot phase, participation is free. (As part of the application you will be provided with a semester ticket for participation in the PreBachelor-programme. You have to pay the semester fee for this. is re-determined and adjusted each semester. The semester and administration fee
How many places are there in the PreBachelor-programme?
In summer-semester 2023 there will be 25 places in the programme. The participants will be chosen at the end of the application period. From the summer-semester 2024 onwards, there will be 50 places on the programme.
How can I apply?
We currently take applications for the PreBachelor Programme. You can now apply for the summer semester 2023 until 28 February 2023. If you are interested, please send us a letter of motivation and your B2 language certificate* by e-mail. In your letter of motivation, please explain your interest in the PreBachelor Programme and Bachelor's degree programme at TU Darmstadt.
* Please note that we accept the following B2 language certificates: DSH1, TestDaF with 14 or 15 points, Goethe Zertifikat B2, ÖSD Zertifikat B2, DSD II B2, telc B2, Zertifikat B2 of courses for refugees at the Language Resource Centre of TU Darmstadt.
Should you still have questions, suggestions of criticism, then please contact us at