Biomedical Engineering (Bachelor of Science)
|Degree: Bachelor of Science|
|Duration: 6 semesters|
|Language: German (individual courses in English)|
|Internship: internships within the study programme (see semester course schedule)|
|Requirements for Admission: Entrance qualification for higher education, entrance qualification for universities of applied sciences, similar foreign diplomas; further information|
|Admission Procedure: unlimited|
|Part-time Studies: possible under specific conditions|
|Programme Start: winter semester|
|Application Deadline: September 15|
|Application: Online application|
|Special Features: The programme is established in cooperation with the Faculty of Medicine of Goethe-Universität Frankfurt.|
The programme B.Sc. Biomedical Engineering is run in cooperation with the Medical Faculty of Goethe-Universität in Frankfurt. Lectures and courses are held both at TU Darmstadt and at Goethe-Universitat.
Electrical Engineering and Information Technology forms 80 % of the programme; the remaining 20 % being of a medical content. By the end of the second semester, a minimum of 20 CP is required. Of these 20 CP, 14 must come from Fundamentals of Electrical Engineering and Information Technology,
The programme includes three compulsory practical courses:
One in Electrical Engineering and Information Technology; one in Biomedical Engineering; the third one is a medical practical course.
Modulhandbuch (Module Handbook)
Vorlesungsverzeichnis (Course Catalogue)
Fachbereich Elektrotechnik und Informationstechnik (Department of Electrical Engineering and Information Technology)
Advice for Prospective B.Sc. Students
The foundation of the Biomedical Engineering programme at the TU Darmstadt consists of modules from the areas of Electrical Engineering, Information Technology (including Informatics), Mathematics, and Physics. A good technical and scientific-mathematical understanding is imperative for a successful completion of the programme.
Mathematics – Why? What? What for? Who? How? Where? Further information? You will find answers to these questions here.
In view of their future professional life, students should be willing to cooperate with colleagues from other disciplines. The same applies to the cooperation with foreign partners, customers, or suppliers, as nowadays, a vast majority of employers relevant for engineers is interconnected at an international level. In this context, foreign language skills are also important. Furthermore, English in particular is required for the reception of literature.
Related Degree Programmes
Electrical Engineering and Information Technology (etit) (B.Sc.)|
(Elektrotechnik und Informationstechnik, B.Sc.)
|Vocational-Technical Education – Electrical Engineering and Information Technology (etit) (B.Ed.) (Elektrotechnik und Informationstechnik, B.Ed.)|
General Information: With the Bachelor of Science, the students will acquire a first professional qualification. However, the Master of Science is considered the standard qualification at TU Darmstadt. For these reasons it is recommended that students complete a Master’s degree.|
Please note that admission to the Master’s Degree programme may also depend on additional requirements. This particularly applies to non-consecutive courses of study (meaning with a Bachelor’s degree in a different area of focus or field of study than the desired Master’s degree programme) and to applicants of other universities. If you have any questions, please contact the respective departmental advisor’s office.
|Biomedical Engineering (M.Sc.) (Medizintechnik, M.Sc. – This programme is currently under development and scheduled to take effect from Wintersemester 2021/22 on.)|
|Electrical Engineering and Information Technology (M.Sc.) (Elektrotechnik und Informationstechnik, M.Sc.)|
Prospective work in the field of the Biomedical Engineering Programme will have the planning and producing of complex, innovative electrical and mechatronical components and systems at its center. This entails career opportunities in development and in sales as well as in the maintenance of technologically highly complex medical equipment. Potential job offers can come from biomedical research companies and industry, the health sector and public administration.
TU Darmstadt's offer of Job Shadowingis a quick and simple method of career orientation by accompanying professionally experienced TU Darmstadt alumni for one day.
Further information about career opportunities on the German job market may be found on the following websites:
Verband der Elektrotechnik Elektronik Informationstechnik (VDE) (Association for Electrical, Electronic & Information Technologies)
Zentralverband Elektrotechnik und Elektroindustrie (ZVEI) (German Central Association of the Electrical Engineering and Electronics Industry)
Verein Deutscher Ingenieure (VDI) (The Association of German Engineers)