Graduates of the Mechanics Master’s programme cover the specific demand in the interface between training in abstract mathematics and application-oriented engineering. The possible fields of occupation for graduates are, for example, research and development departments with a mechanical-theoretical focus.
This programme based on higher mechanics and mathematics enables graduates with a Master’s degree in Mechanics to work as executive mechanics engineers, for example
- in the traditional fields of mechanical engineering (automotive industry and suppliers, synthetic materials and rubber products, crash simulations, acoustics, power plants, reliability etc.) and
- in civil engineering (steel construction, soil mechanics and porous materials, material fatigue, nonlinear shells and plates, fracture-mechanical problems in construction, operational stability etc.),
- as well as in fields of materials science (micromechanical modelling and optimisation of materials. microsystem technology, nanotechnology, coupled material properties etc.),
- in astronautics (fluid-mechanical problems, shape improvements, dynamics of multi-body systems),
- in environmental engineering (continuum-mechanical field problems of open and closed systems, energy transport, thermomechanical and chemomechanical coupling),
- in biomechanics (kinematics of joints, modelling of tissue and arteries, blood flow etc.),
- in economics (transfer of optimization and approximation algorithms)
- and in scientfic positions at universities and research facilities.
It is important to start early in the degree programme to gain practical work experience in relevant organisations. In this way students can promote themselves as competent professionals in practice and make important professional contacts. The likelihood of finding a good position is definitely heightened if the student is flexible when it comes to commuting or even moving abroad. Good English language skills are particularly important when it comes to the international job market.
TU Darmstadt Career Services