Computer Science – Vocational-Technical Education
Master of Education
Informatik – Lehramt an beruflichen Schulen
Bachelor of Education + Master of Education -> Teaching at Vocational Schools
The programme Teaching at Vocational Schools at the TU Darmstadt consists of two connected study programmes:
- first, the Bachelor of Education programme (6 semesters; vocational field of study) and
- subsequently, the Master of Education programme (4 semesters; subject of general education/subject studies).
- The two subjects are supplemented by the educational and social sciences with the practical school studies 1 and the didactics of the subjects.
Only the completion of both the Bachelor of Education and the Master of Education is equivalent to the first state examination in the state of Hesse and therefore mandatory for the admission to the preparatory period (teaching practice) or the teaching profession.
|Degree||Master of Education|
related vocational 52-week internship to be completed before the start of the programme, or vocational training (requirement for enrolment!). Proof is not required from students who completed their Bachelor of Education (B.Ed.) at the TU Darmstadt; |
Internship regulations (Praktikumsordnung);
Recognition of the internship (Anerkennung des Praktikums).
1. Requirements for admission to the Master’s degree programme (and thereby university enrolment) are comprised of a “Bachelor of Education” degree from the same programme or an equivalent degree whereas the combination of professional field of study and subject must be the same in the Bachelor’s and in the Master’s programme. If the combination is not the same, the applicant’s admission is subject to further provisions. Specific degree entrance requirements may be found here and in the competences description. For further questions please contact the departmental advisor’s office (Fachstudienberatung). Information for students with degrees from abroad: International Admission.|
2. A related vocational 52-week internship; see previous point “internship”;
3. Under certain conditions, graduates from applied universities may be admitted to the Master of Education programme subject to further provisions. For further questions please contact the departmental advisor’s office (Fachstudienberatung).
|Procedure||As long as the requirements for admission (Entrance Requirements Verification) are fulfilled, there is no restriction on admission..|
|Part-time Studies||possible under specific conditions|
|Programme Start||winter semester is recommended; summer semester is possible, but without degree completion guarantee|
|Application Deadline||International applicants find their application deadline here.|
|Special Features||Online Self-Assessment|
Advice for Prospective M.Ed. Students
Teachers at vocational schools give lessons in subjects of general education as well as in theoretical and practical vocational subjects. In order to achieve this goal, extensive subject-related knowledge as well as pedagogic-didactical, psychological, communicative, and social skills on the part of the teachers must be acquired.
Upon successful completion of a Master of Education degree, there is the opportunity to begin working towards a Ph.D. either at the TU Darmstadt or at another national or international university: Ph.D. at TU Darmstadt
There are job opportunities for graduates of the Master of Education – Vocational Field of Study Computer Science in corporate vocational training institutions, in the field of vocational training studies, or in the open labor market.
The graduates have the possibility of entering the preparatory period (teaching practice) for teaching at vocational schools, vocational grammar schools, specialised upper secondary school, and specialised vocational school as well as in classes of a basic vocational training year and of vocational preparation.
Predictions about the future demand for teachers or their employment opportunities are difficult to make as both depend on a number of different factors such as demographic development, the selected combination of subjects or type of school, the political framework, etc.
Guidelines and Study Regulations
Related Degree Programmes
Sport Science, M.Ed.
Computer Science, B.Sc.
Computer Science, J.B.A.
Politics and Economics, M.Ed.
Protestant Religion, M.Ed.