Health Insurance for Exchange Students from European countries

As a student of TU Darmstadt you need to have valid health insurance. Here you will find all necessary steps in order to enjoy full insurance coverage during your stay.

In order to enrol at TU Darmstadt, you need to have health insurance. Please obtain information about which services and treatments are covered by your health insurance before coming to Darmstadt.

Depending on the country you come from, there are differences regarding health insurance. Please make sure that one of the following applies to you.

If you have a European Health Insurance Card (EHIC), please make sure that it is valid during your entire stay or for at least one semester.

Upload a copy of your EHIC during the online application or have it ready upon your arrival.

We also accept Form E106.

The European Health Insurance Card only covers treatment for medical emergencies. If you need normal treatment, you might get an invoice from the doctor. You can submit this invoice to your health insurance in your home country for reimbursement. Please note that the reimbursement differs in every country. Make sure you obtain information from your health insurance beforehand.

If you come from a country that is not a member of the European Union, you can upload the social security agreement form during the online application or present it upon your arrival in Darmstadt. It has to be valid for at least three months after the beginning of the semester.

As soon as you are in Darmstadt, your confirmation will be checked and approved by a German statutory health insurance provider. You can only use it to enrol at TU Darmstadt if it has been approved by such a provider.

  • Bosnia-Herzegovina: BH 6
  • Macedonia: D/RM 111
  • Montenegro: De/MNE 111
  • Serbia: DE 111 SRB
  • Tunisia: A/TN 11
  • Turkey: A/T 11

Private Health Insurance from a Foreign Country

In general, private health insurance from foreign countries is not accepted by authorities for foreigners, since there is no way to make sure that all the services and treatments covered by private health insurance corresponds to what is covered by German statutory insurance.

Travel Insurance

Travel insurance, which might be accepted by German embassies, is still not sufficient to enrol at TU Darmstadt, because it only covers medical emergencies during the period you have a valid visa. There is one exception for students who purchase German health insurance for the semester and travel to Germany prior to the official start of the semester (1 April, 1 October). This is the case if you participate in the intensive German language course. Travel health insurance is accepted for this period (September or March).

Turkish students often face a special situation concerning health insurance (since Turkey is not an EU member state). Therefore, we have compiled some information about necessary steps in your home country. Please note that all available information is based on experiences of our exchange students.

Since there is no social security agreement between Russia and Germany, Russian exchange students need to purchase statutory German health insurance. Further information is available in the section Health Insurance for Exchange Students from non-European Countries