Health Insurance for Exchange Students from Non-European Countries

International students who are not listed above and do not have a European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) need to purchase a German statutory health insurance prior to their stay at TU Darmstadt. Please see the top of the page for more information on where to begin your search.

Purchasing German Statutory Health Insurance

Student health insurance costs around EUR 105,- per month and it usually has to be purchased for the entire semester.

Important: The winter semester at TU Darmstadt starts in October, the summer semester in April. That’s why the German statutory health insurance is only valid from 1 October (or 1 April). If you are travelling to Germany earlier, for example in order to participate in our intensive German language courses in September or March, you need to have valid travel insurance for this period. Please refer to your health insurance in your home country for information on purchasing travel insurance.

If you do not have a European Health Insurance Card or Form E106 and if you are more than 30 years old during your stay or have already completed 14 semesters or more, you have to purchase private health insurance. This means that you will have to pay all incurred costs (treatment and follow-up costs) – your health insurance will usually reimburse the costs later.

Private Health Insurance from a Foreign Country

In general, private health insurance from foreign countries is not accepted by authorities for foreigners, since there is no way to make sure that all the services and treatments covered by private health insurance corresponds to what is covered by German statutory insurance.

Travel Insurance

Travel insurance, which might be accepted by German embassies, is still not sufficient to enrol at TU Darmstadt, because it only covers medical emergencies during the period you have a valid visa. There is one exception for students who purchase German health insurance for the semester and travel to Germany prior to the official start of the semester (1 April, 1 October). This is the case if you participate in the intensive German language course. Travel health insurance is accepted for this period (September or March).

Further Information

The German National Association for Student Affairs (Deutsches Studentenwerk DSW) has created a guide with some useful information regarding health insurance for foreign students in Germany.